MN State Fair holds first-ever job fair

The job fair aims to ease the hiring process for up to 600 seasonal employees.
Applicant Kaley Byrd shakes hands with potential employers following an interview with Blue Barn at the State Fair Job Fair on Wednesday, June 30.
Image by Alex Tuthill-Preus

The Minnesota State Fair is holding its first job fair Wednesday to fill hundreds of open positions for this year’s festivities. 

The fair hopes to fill 600  positions on Wednesday, said Minnesota State Fair media representative Danielle Dullinger, adding that throughout the summer, the fair will hire 3,000 employees to work from Aug. 25 to Sept. 5.

She said state fair departments and vendors are hosting the job fair to ease the hiring process for applicants.

“We wanted to create a one-stop shop for applicants interested in working at the Minnesota State Fair,” Dullinger said.

Departments that expect to hire the most people include ticket-selling, parking, cashiers, retail sales and custodians, she said.

The fair is looking for applicants who are at least 16 years old and are available for the full 12 days of the fair, which doesn’t conflict with University of Minnesota classes that start on the 6thSept. 6, she said.

If the applicant’s skills, experience and qualifications match an open position, that department or vendor will interview them on the spot, Dullinger said.

“We just want to make it easier for those interested in having a job during the fair to come here and get their whole process done in one night,” she said.