Cancer screening for all is vital

One of the most common reasons women don’t get screened for breast cancer is because there are no convenient places to do so near them. With more than 17 million  American women living in rural areas, it’s time we bring the screening centers to them. 

Breast cancer is the second leading fatal cancer in women, according to the American Association of Cancer Research. Early mammograms and screening are the keys to catching this disease before it is too late. 

Hennepin County Medical Center has established a mobile mammography unit to cater to the needs of women in rural areas. The unit utilizes full field digital mammography, which is the same technology used in typical screening facilities.  

While some may object to the radiation this unit might emit, it is important to note that radiation is unavoidable even in traditional screening centers. Additionally, the equipment was specially designed to minimize radiation emitted. 

Mobile mammography offers the same quality as a typical screening center does. Clearly, Minnesota has set a great standard by bringing these units into our state, and it’s crucial that other states follow our lead.

Cancer is a battle that seems to have a bitter end more often than not. But screenings are something that are within our control. More screening units in convenient locations could lead to a greater percentage of women getting the early screening they need to catch the disease in its early stages.

Minnesota has set the bar high when it comes to combating cancer. As of today, the best way to fight this relentless disease it to catch it in its earliest stages, and technology that helps more people do so is something that we should all get behind.