Music programs deserve support

Faced with budget cuts, many K-12 schools are struggling to keep their music programs afloat.
Oftentimes public schools, especially in inner cities, lack sufficient funding for K-12 music departments. Large budget cuts in instructive arts programs have left many of these schools in less-than-optimal conditions to provide an education in music.

Programs such as band and choir not only teach students the art of music but also allow for them to engage in a program that helps them connect with other children who are interested in similar activities. In addition, music programs can provide students with a break from the stress of typical classes.

I was an active participant in my high school band, and I believe all children, regardless of social status, should have an equal opportunity to learn to play an instrument or sing. 

There are a couple of ways we could help guarantee this. First, schools could request more government funding. However, because arts budgets are so often cut, this option may not be realistic. 

Fortunately, there are a variety of organizations in our community that are working incredibly hard to raise money for local music programs — many of them operate via donations, such as the Youth Music Education Foundation. While this method of fundraising may take a bit more advertising in order to get the word out, it could be the key to improving our programs without government aid.

By increasing funds for educational music programs in public K-12 schools, we can provide students a chance to learn the basics of music and become involved in an entire community that shares similar interests. Education is about more than just memorizing facts — it’s about learning how to create something new.