Choosing a major is overrated

Although students often stress over choosing a major, it should not cause too much worry.
Declaring one’s major is perhaps the most intimidating part of college. That said, almost 80 percent of students change their major at least once during their college career.

So why put so much stress on choosing right from the get-go?

Most students seem to believe the major they choose will lead to a career they’ll be stuck in for the rest of their adult lives. However, they couldn’t be more wrong. While receiving an education is crucial for obtaining a job in today’s competitive market, so is job experience.

Employers are looking for experience and references. Anything that shows them you have the qualities of a successful employee looks good. 

As of late, I’ve been doing a lot of research on this topic. My parents have been putting a lot of stress on me to solidify my major choices. In the past, I had worried too much about making a decision I would regret down the road. However, after utilizing some of our student resources — specifically, the Center for Academic Planning and

Exploration, I’ve realized that the major one picks is relatively insignificant. What’s much more important is work experience. In addition to utilizing on-campus resources, I’ve
also contacted various businesses within my realm of interest. Each one has told me a slight variation of the same statement: Education is absolutely vital, but a degree can’t teach you everything you need to succeed in the workplace. 

So rather than stressing out about which major to choose, why not make the most of your time in college? Apply to internships, work opportunities, anything to get yourself out there. Who knows? Maybe you’ll even get a job offer out of the deal.