Super Bowl is a good fit for Minnesota

Hosting the huge sporting event would help bring notoriety, and perhaps revenue, to the state.

Now that the Vikings have broken ground on their new stadium, Gov. Mark Dayton has started a campaign to bring the Su­per Bowl to Minneapolis. The game, which may be as early as 2018, would be a good fit for the Twin Cities as officials push for nationwide rec­ognition.

Dayton said the game would bring in about half a billion dollars. Though sports economists cast doubt on the Super Bowl’s financial impact, there are few better uses of the new stadium, which is set to cost nearly $1 billion. Dayton also said he would not ask state lawmakers to use public money to help fund the bid.

A Super Bowl could be a significant part of a push to bring the Twin Cities into the national spotlight. Target Field is hosting the 2014 Ma­jor League Baseball All-Star game. The National Collegiate Athletic Association announced earli­er this week that Minneapolis is a finalist to host one of the 2017-2020 Final Fours, which would be held in the new Vikings stadium. Adding the Super Bowl would capitalize on the recent effort to bring publicity to the Twin Cities.

While the Twin Cities aren’t particularly known as a sports destination, the Super Bowl would be a unique way of getting eyes on Min­nesota. The last time the Twin Cities hosted the Super Bowl was 1992.

While Super Bowl XLVIII host New York is taking criticism for its outdoor stadium, Minne­apolis’ new, fixed-roof stadium is sure to bode well with sports fans.