Snelten punctuates series victory with one-hitter

One infield single kept junior DJ Snelten from making history Sunday against Ohio State at Siebert Field.

The 6-foot-7 inch Gophers lefty mowed down hitter after hitter en route to a one-hit shutout and a 1-0 victory.

Snelten struck out seven Ohio State batters and walked one.

The lone hit came in the third inning on a ground ball that deflected off of Snelten’s glove.

“I can’t take back the things that I’ve done,” Snelten said about the single. “I just kept going forward with it.”

Snelten threw 86 pitches — a low number for a complete-game shutout.

“I had command of my fastball,” he said. “If I’m able to establish it and be professional with it, it makes it a lot easier to get your job done.”

Snelten painted corners with the fastball, kept it low in the strike zone and mixed in his slider and changeup effectively.

Sophomore second baseman Tony Skjefte, who’s listed at 5 feet 10 inches and 160 pounds, drove in the game’s only run on a solo home run in the bottom of the sixth inning.

The home run was the first of Skjefte’s career and the first ever at Siebert Field.

Minnesota won the first game 7-0 behind strong pitching from junior Tom Windle and junior Alec Crawford.

Windle, the Gophers’ ace, threw five shutout innings Friday before the game was delayed by snow.

When play resumed Saturday, Crawford picked up where Windle left off, throwing four shutout innings to record the save.

Six different Gophers players drove in runs in the first game. Senior left fielder Andy Henkemeyer and sophomore designated hitter Mark Tatera had three hits apiece.

An hour after the conclusion of the first game Saturday, the squads began playing the second. But the second game was also delayed by rain.

Sophomore Ben Meyer was roughed up early in the second game, allowing five runs in three innings.

Ohio State cruised to a 5-2 victory in a game that was completed Sunday morning.

Anderson said he was impressed with the way his team responded in the third game Sunday.

Wednesday’s game postponed

Wednesday’s scheduled game between Minnesota and St. John’s has been postponed.

The Division III Johnnies are using Wednesday to make up a conference game that had been postponed.

No makeup date has been announced.