Gophers drop two to top Big Ten team

Gophers outfielder Dan Motl swings March 31 at Siebert Field.
Image by Alex Tuthill-Preus
During Friday’s series opener with a fellow top-15 opponent, Minnesota finished off the Wolverines in just six innings, handing them a 9-1 drubbing. 

Two days later, Michigan returned the favor, mirroring Friday’s score.

In between, No. 4 Wolverines defeated the Gophers, exploiting Minnesota’s pitching woes. 

“They’re a very good hitting team. They lead the [conference] for sure — and possibly the country — in home runs. They’re a good team,” head coach Jessica Allister said.

The team’s ace, Sara Groenewegen, started Minnesota’s weekend well, yielding just one run in six innings pitched Friday

She struggled on Sunday, giving up six runs, five earned in five and 2/3 innings pitched.

“Things aren’t going to be perfect. That’s just something I’ve learned. When [you] start off well and things don’t go in your favor, it sucks,” Groenewegen said. “But you have to come back from the adversity.” 

The Wolverines’ bats came alive against the Gophers pitchers on Saturday.

Minnesota has had trouble finding consistency with its second starter, using two different players in the role.

Freshman pitcher Kylie Stober started the game for Minnesota, and her second pitch left the park. 

Michigan’s Sierra Lawrence launched the ball over the centerfield wall with ease.

But the the Gophers had troubles at the plate, too, sometimes failing to put together a string of hits. 

With the bases loaded for the Gophers in the fourth inning and one out, Michigan pitcher Haylie Wagner struck out one hitter and forced a fly out to end the threat.

“Sometimes that’s how it happens. You just have to come back, and you have to keep working. They’re a top-5 team in the country. It sucks, but at the same time we just have to keep working,” senior Kaitlyn Richardson said.

During Sunday’s game, Michigan’s strong pitching was on display once again.

Richardson gave Minnesota its first hit in the fourth inning of the 9-1 defeat.

“We put up a good fight,” Groenewegen said. “But yeah, we’re going to be disappointed.”