Ex-Gophers give back

Dick McCullough played a key part in bringing the Gophers most recent baseball national championship back to Minneapolis âÄì his triple in the title game gave Minnesota a lead it would never surrender. The only problem is, the most recent national championship is not very recent at all. In fact, McCulloughâÄôs heroics occurred over 50 years ago in the 1964 College World Series. Now, the former Gophers shortstop has determined that the fifty-plus year drought has gone on long enough. Earlier this month, McCullough donated an undisclosed amount of money to the Gophers baseball program in hopes to help the team return to the mountaintop of college baseball. McCullough isnâÄôt the only Gophers baseball alumni who recently gave back to their alma mater. Former Gophers pitcher and current Minnesota Twins closer Glen Perkins also donated money to the program at the end of last month. The Gophers hope to use the money to build and indoor hitting and pitching facility, after several games last season were affected due to weather. But itâÄôs not just the games that are affected by the weather, and that is what Anderson hopes the potential indoor hitting and pitching facility can resolve. Last year, the college baseball season began in the middle of February with practice getting underway in January. To prepare for those early season games while in Minneapolis, the team would practice at the Bierman complex, which is most heavily used by the football team. The team does take advantage of Siebert Field when it is an option. In the fall, offseason workouts take place through the brisk temperatures. But the minute the snow hits, it is back inside for long winter workouts.