Mable sees success on and off the mat

Lindsay Mable’s 10 consecutive all-around streak was recently snapped.
Junior Lindsay Mable performs on the beam on Feb. 28 at the Sports Pavillon.
Image by Daily File Photo, Liam James Doyle

On or off the mat, Lindsay Mable is no stranger to success.

Now in her junior year, Mable is using two years’ worth of experience to vault herself to the top of the nation in the all-around, while also laying the foundation for a teaching career.

“Junior season has been pretty eventful and kind of an out-of-body experience,” Mable said. “I feel like it’s going so fast that it’s hard to keep track of what’s going on.”

Mable earned the all-around crown in 10 consecutive meets before her streak was broken last Saturday.

Mable was the first Gophers gymnast to be No. 1 in national all-around standings this year, before dropping to second this week.

“It seemed really surreal. It didn’t seem real to me — just because you do the same thing day in and day out,” Mable said. “It’s cool to see what the process brings.”

So far this year, Mable has 25 event victories, tying her record she set last year.

“[She] is great because she works her butt off every day,” interim head coach Jenny Hansen said. “She’s such a hard worker, positive person in the gym and a great influence on everybody on the team.”

Mable’s athletic achievement started as soon as she stepped foot on campus. She was named Big Ten Freshman while also earning First Team All-American.

In her sophomore year, she was an NCAA First Team All-American on vault, as well as First Team All-Big Ten for the second time.

“She came her freshman year and learned a lot that year,” Hansen said. “She surprised herself at how good she was, and every year she has gotten better. I think that’s attributed to how hard she works.”

Mable’s experience and personality have benefited the team.

She said more recently she’s worked to develop her leadership skills.

“I’m most often a ‘lead by example’ leader than a vocal leader. I’m not a fan of disciplining people and getting on them,” Mable said. “I’d rather hope they follow an example of someone.”

Sophomore Bailey Abernathy said she’s seen Mable develop her leading capabilities even before college, considering the fact they both competed on the same club team.

“She is very much a leader by example, and she holds high standards for the whole team, and we like to rise to those standards,” Abernathy said.

Mable’s attitude has helped guide the team this year.

“She doesn’t get too high or too low. She stays at an even keel all the way through,” Hansen said. “She doesn’t let things get to her, and I think that’s really important for the team to see.”

And her attitude extends outside of the gym. She was awarded the Academic All-Big Ten and Big Ten Distinguished Scholar honors last year.

“School has always been something that has been really important to me. Both my parents were teachers growing up, so they instilled in us to do our best and always work hard,” Mable said.

Mable said she has an interest in following her parents’ footsteps and establishing her own teaching career.

She is in a five-year program, and when that’s completed, she will have a masters and a teaching license.

“I used to really want to teach second or third grade, but after I volunteered in a fifth-grade class, I’m kind of open to anything,” Mable said.

And in order to be a successful teacher, she’ll have to multitask — a skill she said she’s learned through her experience of balancing academics and athletics in college.

“When I walk in the gym doors, it’s gymnastics and that’s it,” Mable said. “When I walk out, I focus on everything else; but unless you create those boundaries, it’s hard to keep it separate.”