Wildcats dominate Gophers

Gopher forward Jordan Murphy handles the ball Saturday, Jan. 23 at Williams Arena where the Gophers were defeated 71-76 in overtime.
Image by Daily File Photo
The Gophers started playing competitively in recent games despite a long losing streak, but they fell with a loud thud Thursday night.
Minnesota lost to Northwestern 82-58 in Evanston, Ill., adding to the team’s 12-game losing streak.

“We had been playing well,” head coach Richard Pitino said to reporters after the game. “We had been fighting. Tonight we didn’t. We took a step back today.”

Minnesota’s defense looked lost at the start, and the Wildcats took a 19-8 lead before the first timeout.

Northwestern finished the half on a 13-2 run to lead 37-23 at the break.

Northwestern continued to shoot well in the second half to turn the game into a rout. The Wildcats shot 53.7 percent in the game, while the Gophers shot 33.3 percent.

Freshman forward Jordan Murphy had 14 points and five rebounds for the Gophers but picked up four fouls. Freshman guard Kevin Dorsey added 11 points, and sophomore center Bakary Konate had seven rebounds.

“We had looks but couldn’t make them,” Pitino said to reporters after the game. “Just one of those nights that we let it deflate us on the defensive end.”