Gophers blank at Tiger Invitational

Minnesota will wrap up the Tiger Invitational tomorrow.
Senior Jon Dutoit drives the ball at the Windsong Golf Club on Sept. 15.
Image by Joe Sulik, Daily File Photo

The Gophers men’s golf team shot a great first round at the Tiger Invitational but could not keep up the pace the rest of the tournament.

Minnesota was tied for third place after round one in a field that featured the No. 2 and No. 3 teams in the country, according to golfweek.com. But the team finished tied for 12th out of 18 teams on Wednesday, with a three-day score of 901.

“Overall, the way that we finished the event was a bit surprising,” head coach John Carlson said. “I thought we were positioned well to complete a really solid tournament in rounds two and three. The second round certainly did not go our way.”

Senior Jon DuToit tied for 28th place with a score of 223, while junior Grady Meyer tied for 31st place with a 224.

The Gophers’ best round was their first, as the team shot a 291 on Sunday. Meyer and sophomore Runar Arnorsson each shot a 72, while junior Justin Doeden and DuToit shot a 73 and 74, respectively.

Minnesota moved back to 12th by the end of the second round after scoring a tournament-high 312 as a team. The Gophers finished the tournament with a 298 in the third round to finish tied for 12th in the field.

“Everyone on the team was disappointed,” Carlson said. “I think overall our team knows that we have work to be done. Everyone has to continue to get better, and we have to eliminate the big mistakes.”