Arnorsson earns record score

The sophomore took first in the Barona Collegiate Cup and shot a 62 one round.
Sophomore Rúnar Arnórsson plays at the Windsong Golf Club during the Gopher Invitational on Sept. 13, 2015.
Image by Joe Sulik, Daily File Photo
The Gophers earned their highest finish of the season thanks to Runar Arnorsson’s record-breaking round.

The sophomore shot a 62 in the first round of the Barona Collegiate Cup in Lakeside, Calif., the best score in a round by a golfer in Minnesota’s history. Arnorsson finished with a three-round score of 207 on Wednesday to finish first in the tournament and the Gophers took second out of 11 teams with a score of 880.

“All the hard work that we and I have put in with coaching staff is paying off, and it’s a nice confirmation we’re doing some good things, not that there was any doubt,” Arnorsson said.

Arnorsson shot a 71 in the second round and a 74 in the third round to finish with the 12th-lowest 54-hole score in program history. He had 18 birdies and two eagles in the tournament.

The Gophers scored a 283 in the tournament’s first round but shot a 297 in the second and a 300 in the third to take second. San Diego State took first with a 838.

“We drove the ball a lot better this week, which proved to be important in the par fives at least in the first couple rounds,” Carlson said. “I think that we can continue to get better on the greens. [Arnorsson] made a lot of putts this week, but the rest of the guys I felt like they left a few shots out there each round.”

Garrison stays consistent

The Minnesota women’s golf team finished 12th out of 15 teams and shot an 894 at the Mountain View Collegiate Invitational in Tucson, Ariz., which concluded on Saturday

“We started out very, very, very well at the tournament, and we just didn’t keep it there,” head coach Michele Redman said. “To me, that shows me that it’s there, but we just have to get comfortable being under par a little bit more.”

Sophomore Sabrine Garrison earned her third top-20 finish of the season in the tournament and shot a 219. 

“I feel like my game has really come together in the last few months,” Garrison said.

Junior Emie Peronnin and sophomore Heather Ciskowski both shot a 223 to finish in a tie for 30th place.