Both Gophers teams finish 11th in Big Ten

The men’s score at the Big Ten tourney was a 910 while the women shot an 878.
Senior Jon Dutoit drives the ball at the Windsong Golf Club on Sept. 13, 2015.
Image by Joe Sulik, Daily File Photo
The Gophers women’s golf team finished 11th in the Big Ten tournament over the weekend after taking seventh last year.

The team shot an 878 in the tournament, and its best score was a 287 in the second round.

“We didn’t play that great,” head coach Michele Redman said. “I think there was some, in my opinion, issues with the course setup. It was set up too short, so I don’t think it showcased who the better teams were.”

Sophomore Heather Ciskowski finished first among Minnesota golfers. She finished in a tie for 30th place and shot a 220 in three rounds. She started slow with a 78 on the first day, but shot a 71 in the second and third rounds.

“I think I played pretty well,” Ciskowski said. “The first four holes were not my best from the first round … but overall, I enjoyed the experience.”

Junior Emie Peronnin and freshman Niamh Ward tied for second place among Minnesota golfers with scores of 222. The two tied for 39th place.

The Gophers’ Big Ten finish was worse than last season’s, but the team will graduate no seniors this year after losing three a year ago.

“They gave me 100 percent, and that’s all you can ask for,” Redman said.

Men’s team ties for 11th

The men’s golf team tied for 11th place in the Big Ten tournament with a score of 910.

Senior Jon DuToit finished first among Minnesota golfers in the last tournament of his college career, shooting a 220. He ended in 27th place.

“We were disappointed with our showing this weekend,” head coach John Carlson said. “Jon DuToit played solid golf all three rounds, was making a lot of birdies out there. We didn’t make many birdies as a team this week, and today we compounded some birdies early with some balls in the hazard.”

Sophomore Runar Arnorsson was the second-best Minnesota golfer at the tournament and shot a 225 to tie for 36th place.