Injury-ridden Minnesota takes on Irish

Two upperclassmen will be out of the Notre Dame series with lower-body injuries.
Minnesota forward Justin Kloos skates against Mercyhurst in the first round of the Ice Breaker Tournament at Mariucci Arena on Friday, Oct. 11, 2013.
Image by Chelsea Gortmaker

It didn’t take long for the injury bug to bite the Gophers.

After a fast start to his senior season, forward Travis Boyd will miss about month due to a lower-body injury.

Junior defenseman Brady Skjei also has a lower-body injury, and head coach Don Lucia said he does not expect him back until after Thanksgiving.

Missing the two veteran players will test the Gophers throughout the remainder of their nonconference schedule, and Lucia said he wants to see who on the team will respond.

“We’re going to have to throw some guys into some different situations, and we’ll see what they can do,” Lucia said. “I’m kind of looking forward to seeing other players in some different roles.”

Dealing with injuries early will give Lucia a chance to evaluate some of the team’s more inexperienced players.

With the removal of Skjei from the lineup, inexperienced players will have to step up on the blue line.

The Gophers’ three freshman defensemen — Ryan Collins, Steve Johnson and Jack Glover — have all seen playing time this year but have not been lineup regulars.

Now the three will have to play some extra minutes and will need to help ease some of the pressure on goaltender Adam Wilcox.

“They have to elevate their game,” Lucia said. “It’s a chance for some of our freshman defensemen to grow. Throw them into the fire.”

At forward, sophomore Vinni Lettieri will need to step up to center Boyd’s former line, but Lucia said sophomore forward Justin Kloos could step in certain key situations, like at the end of games.

“I think everyone is just going to have to step up,” Kloos said. “I think overall, in the locker room, everyone’s just got to maybe give a little extra effort in practice and in games, and then we’ll be able to recover, and we’ll be that much better when they get back.”

Kloos said both of the injured Gophers “eat up a lot of ice [time],” but senior captain Kyle Rau said it was good for the team to have to deal with early
adversity.

“We’re missing two key guys, Boyd and Skjei,” Rau said. “It’s good early in the year to get more people chances and kind of see what you’re made of.”

Lucia ready to face ‘No. 22’

When the Gophers face the nation’s second-leading goal-scorer this weekend, they don’t plan on holding back.

Even if that scorer has the name “Lucia” on his jersey.

This will be the third year in a row that Don Lucia will face his son, Mario, or as Lucia referred to him this week, “No. 22.”

This season, though, with his name near the top of the nation’s scoring chart, “No. 22” seems to be making a name all for himself.

“We just have to be aware of him on the ice and the type of player that he is,” Lucia said. “If we can keep him off the board offensively, obviously we’ll have a better chance to win.”