Minnesota sweeps its weekend at Baseline

The Gophers men’s tennis team got off to a rough start in its 2014 campaign. It dropped two of its first three matches — all on the road.

It only took a trip home to turn things around.

Minnesota swept a trio of matches this weekend, knocking off Green Bay and Marquette by identical 4-1 tallies Friday before beating Arkansas 6-1 on Sunday at the Baseline Tennis Center.

“We had to stick to what we do best, and that’s supporting each other and playing our best,” junior Jack Hamburg said. “That’s all we really focused on. … It worked out pretty well for us this weekend.”

Gophers junior Leandro Toledo paced his team all weekend. He won all three of his matches at the No. 1 singles slot.

“[Toledo] knows that we look to him to carry us through our singles,” Hamburg said. “He gets us started off right every single time.”

Minnesota will be challenged again at home next weekend as it takes on No. 24 Tulsa on Friday before battling Harvard on Saturday afternoon.

“Next weekend, we have two really good teams coming in,” head coach Geoff Young said. “That’ll be a big test.”

Women split

The Gophers finally suffered their first loss of the season Saturday, dropping a 4-3 decision to Washington State in Montana.

That loss ended Minnesota’s four-match winning streak to start the season — its best start since 1997.

The Gophers swept the doubles but dropped four of the six singles matchest.

“We’d like to have that back,” head coach Chuck Merzbacher said. “We just have to learn from it and move forward is pretty much the only option.”

The Gophers didn’t have a choice but to move forward — and quickly.

Minnesota responded with a 7-0 victory over Montana on Sunday.

“We’re really working on that Minnesota tough — just wanting to be tough and needing to be tough,” Merzbacher said. “I think we improved on that today.”