Women wrap up fall season with fifth-place finish

The Gophers will take a break until their next meet in February 2014.

Minnesota’s women’s golf team wrapped up its fall season Monday with a fifth-place finish at the Las Vegas Invitational, the team’s last competition until February.

Minnesota shot an aggregate 10-over par but finished only seven strokes behind first-place San Diego State. The Aztecs finished an aggregate 3-over par to win the tournament.

The Las Vegas Invitational was originally scheduled as a three-day, three-round tournament, but high winds on Monday canceled the second round.

The Gophers’ performance in the two-round tournament was their second-best finish of the fall season. They placed third at a season-opening tournament in mid-September.

“We’ve had some times of really great golf,” head coach Michele Redman said. “We’re really close to playing really well right now, and that’s exciting.”

Redman said everyone on the team has been playing really well throughout the fall, but she added that she wants her team to work on being more consistent when the spring season rolls around.

Banchalee Theinthong paced the Gophers with an aggregate score of even-par. She finished tied for eighth overall.

Theinthong finished three strokes ahead of the next highest finisher from Minnesota.

“She hit the ball really well,” Redman said of Theinthong. “If she would have made some putts, I think she would have had a chance to win the tournament. That’s a good thing for us.”

Theinthong thought she played really well at the tournament but said she agrees she needs to work on her short game.

“We just grinded it out,” she said. “We have improved a lot this fall season. We’re getting better … and it should help us in the future.”

Minnesota will now take a break from competition until Feb. 9.