Laguna leads team to fifth place

Minnesota junior captain Carmen Laguna rebounded from a lackluster performance two weeks ago with a fourth-place finish at the Mountain View Collegiate Invitational in Tucson, Ariz. Her fourth-place finish paced the Gophers women’s golf team to a fifth-place finish.

Minnesota finished with an aggregate team score of 23-over par over the course of the 54-hole tournament. It finished just 13 strokes behind first-place Nebraska.

Laguna led the team with an even-par 216 about two weeks after shooting a 20-over par 236 at the BYU Entrada Classic.

“Carmen got back into her own mental game and focusing on herself,” head coach Michele Redman said. “She just did a really good job getting back to Carmen on the golf course and just trusting herself.”

Laguna was Minnesota’s top player during the fall season, averaging 74 strokes per round. She has averaged 73.8 strokes per round this spring, despite the above-average scores at the BYU tournament.

“Before playing this tournament, I didn’t feel confident about myself,” Laguna said. “And now I feel like I’m getting back that confidence.”

Gophers freshman Emie Peronnin was the team’s second-leading scorer this past weekend, shooting a 6-over par 222 to tie for 23rd. She was followed by junior Sarinee Thitiratanakorn, who was third on the team with a 9-over 225.

Minnesota junior Anna Laorr tied for 35th at 10-over par, senior Banchalee Theinthong tied for 48th at 12-over par and redshirt junior Taylor Quinn rounded out the lineup with a 14-over par.

The Gophers shot a 5-over  par 293 in the first round Friday morning and a 12-over par 300 that afternoon. They finished with a 6-over par 294 on Saturday afternoon.

Redman said the team hit the ball well but struggled with putting. She said she isn’t too concerned, though, given that the team’s scores have improved over the course of the spring season.