Minnesota travels up North, sweeps UMD

The Gophers were led by a balanced attack en route to a weekend sweep.
Minnesota sophomore goalie Amanda Leveille lunges to protect the goal against Wisconsin on Saturday, Oct. 12, 2013, at Ridder Arena.
Image by Ichigo Takikawa, Daily File Photo

For No. 1 Minnesota, success at AMSOIL Arena in Duluth, Minn., is nothing new.

That success continued this weekend with a sweep over No. 7 Minnesota-Duluth. The Gophers skated to 4-0 and 6-3 wins over the Bulldogs on Friday and Saturday.

The two games were very different, but Minnesota used a balanced scoring attack to secure two wins.

“Any time you can sweep on the road, in particular up in Duluth, is a great weekend,” head coach Brad Frost said.

On Friday, sophomore goaltender Amanda Leveille recorded 26 saves for her second consecutive shutout.

Senior Sarah Davis scored the first goal in the first period with assists from senior Bethany Brausen and junior Meghan Lorence.

Lorence added a goal of her own in the third period.

The Brausen-Davis-Lorence line hasn’t typically been Minnesota’s highest-scoring line, but it contributed four goals over the weekend, including three from Davis.

“We are really trying to contribute and produce more and not just be the gritty line, but also be the gritty line at the same time,” Davis said.

Freshman forward Dani Cameranesi scored her first collegiate goal Friday off a deflection on a shot by junior defenseman Rachel Ramsey.

Cameranesi credited her teammates and said she was in the right place at the right time. Still, she said it was satisfying to get her first goal, and that it was cool that it came at her brother’s home rink.

Frost said Cameranesi has been “settling in and becoming more and more comfortable each game.”

She added two power-play goals in Saturday’s game, and Frost said they’ve been working with her on the backside of the power play.

That paid off Saturday.

Cameranesi and senior linemate Kelly Terry each recorded three points in Saturday’s game.

Cameranesi said the communication on her line, which also includes freshman Kate Schipper, has been improving lately.

In the beginning of the season, she said, Terry would have to talk to her and Schipper about becoming more vocal.

“Me and [Schipper] aren’t the most outgoing people,” Cameranesi said. “We’re pretty shy and don’t talk that much.”

She said the coaches have urged the freshmen to start using their voices more, which has made everything easier on the ice.

Sophomores Maryanne Menefee and Hannah Brandt and junior Rachael Bona make up the team’s other line.

Bona and Brandt are first and second on the team in points through six games, and Menefee is tied for third.

That line also contributed offensively for Minnesota over the weekend, rounding out a balanced scoring attack.

“Every night a different line is stepping up,” Frost said. “All of our lines were contributing this weekend, and you have to have three lines that can score.”

Frost said he’s comfortable with his nine forwards and the combinations the team has up front.

Minnesota will return to action next weekend against Bemidji State in Bemidji, Minn.