Minnesota dominates series with Princeton

The Gophers fired 101 shots on goal over the weekend en route to a sweep.
Forward Sarah Davis controls the puck at the Womens Hockey game against Princeton on Sunday.
Image by Juliet Farmer
Forward Sarah Davis controls the puck at the Women’s Hockey game against Princeton on Sunday.

Minnesota head coach Brad Frost has had the opportunity to play with his line combinations the past couple of weekends.

So far, so good.

The Gophers swept Princeton this weekend with 6-0 and 9-1 victories.

The new lines created plenty of scoring opportunities, and Minnesota capitalized throughout the series. The Gophers fired 101 shots on goal in just two games.

“You could tell the momentum was in our favor,” Frost said. “The kids were up on their toes, and that was a huge start for us tonight.”

While the Gophers started slowly Saturday, they jumped ahead early Sunday with goals from senior Sarah Davis and junior Meghan Lorence.

It took less than four and a half minutes for the Gophers to put multiple goals on the board Sunday against Princeton.

The four-goal flurry in the first period helped Minnesota rout the Tigers in the final game of the sweep.

“We didn’t play our best in the first period yesterday,” Davis said, “so we really wanted to make a statement today, and I think we did that.”

Because the team was up by so many goals, it could have coasted. But the Gophers remained aggressive, crashing the net and firing shots at Princeton goaltender Kimberly Newell.

“That’s kind of what we’re trying to get with our lines,” Frost said. “I thought all four of our lines tonight and last night … were huge.”

Princeton battled back and put its first goal on the board with less than eight minutes left in the second period, but Minnesota was too much for the Tigers to contain.

Nine different players scored for the Gophers as part of a balanced scoring attack Sunday.

“It’s so hard to shut down more than one line, and if a team has two, it makes it hard. But if you have three, it’s even worse,” Frost said.

The Gophers got big games Sunday from Davis and sophomore Hannah Brandt, who combined to score two goals and tally four assists.

“We’re always talking about getting to the net [and] getting shots on net,” Brandt said Sunday.

On Saturday, it took a while for Minnesota’s offense to get going, but once it did it was hard to stop.

Gophers freshman forward Dani Cameranesi started and finished Minnesota’s scoring with first- and third-period goals.

In between, senior forwards Bethany Brausen, Davis and Kelly Terry and sophomore Brandt scored.

Cameranesi led the Gophers offensively, taking seven shots and recording an assist in addition to the two goals.

The Gophers now sit at 6-0 in nonconference play and will return to conference play next weekend against Ohio State.