Gophers pick up sweep of Buckeyes on the road

Minnesota allowed its first goal of the season Friday night against Ohio State.
Gophers forward Dani Cameranesi moves the puck toward the net at Ridder Arena, Jan. 25, 2014.
Image by Holly Peterson, Daily File Photo
Though they didn’t tally a shutout for the first time in four games, the Gophers women’s hockey team continued to make winning look easy. 

Minnesota earned two road victories over the weekend at Ohio State, winning 7-2 on Friday and 11-2 on Saturday

“Anytime you can get a sweep on the road is fantastic, but to do it in the fashion we did is especially good,” head coach Brad Frost said. “I thought we played really well in the last five periods. We generated a lot and were able to put the puck in the net.”

Friday’s game started out in an uncharacteristic manner for the Gophers (6-0, 4-0 WCHA). 

Though junior Kate Schipper scored a power-play goal with just 1:07 remaining in the first period, Ohio State (2-4, 0-4 WCHA) also tallied its own with 11.2 seconds left, tying the score at 1-1. 

Minnesota quickly regrouped to regain the lead with sophomore forward Cara Piazza scoring 6:43 into the second period to make the score 2-1.

Minnesota’s momentum stayed alive with three more goals, one goal coming from senior forward Brook Garzone and two from junior forward Dani Cameranesi to put the Gophers up 5-1 after the second period. 

The Gophers added two more goals in the third period, with freshman defenseman Sophie Skarzynski and sophomore forward Nina Rodgers each scoring their first of the year. 

The Buckeyes scored with just one second left to make it 7-2. 

The game ended Minnesota’s four-game shutout streak to begin the season. 

“I think we weren’t as disciplined into the [defensive zone] and were more focused on scoring,” Cameranesi said. “So after that first goal we took a little breath and made sure we did all the things in the [defensive zone], and everything offensively would come after that.”

Minnesota began the second game strong, with goals from Cameranesi, Schipper and Garzone in the first 10 minutes of the first period putting the team up 3-0. 

The Buckeyes did score by the end of the period, with a power-play goal with 15 seconds remaining. 

Minnesota came back to dominate the second period, with four even strength goals and two on the power play to increase their lead to 9-1. 

Minnesota added two more points in the third period on goals from Brandt and sophomore transfer Caitlin Reilly.

Reilly had two goals on the night, which were her first career points at Minnesota.

Ohio State scored one more time on the power play to make the final score 11-2. 

The Gophers’ first line forwards Cameranesi, Brandt and Potomak had 15 points in the win, and 15 Gophers players recorded at least one point.

“It gives us a lot of confidence, and it proves we have a lot of depth,” Potomak said. “Everyone can contribute, and we can trust each other on that.”