Arianna Valenzuela-Zazueta

Articles

Jacob Frey elected mayor of Minneapolis

City Council Member Jacob Frey was confirmed as the winner of Minneapolis's mayoral race Wednesday.  Frey claimed victory over Raymond Dehn in the fifth round of ranked-choice tabulation, with a total of 46,716. Dehn finished second with 34,971. Incumbent Betsy Hodges was eliminated after the forth round of tabulation.

Warsame clinches victory for Ward 6 seat

Incumbent Ward 6 City Council Member Abdi Warsame took over 50 percent of the first-choice votes on Tuesday night, narrowly beating opponent Mohamud Noor, who took 47 percent. 

Como shoe shop set to grow in size

Piff will open a second location across the street from its current business in November. The shop, located on 1506 Como Ave SE, opened three years ago and has since outgrown its location.

Ramen restaurant coming to Como

Amid the wide range of Asian-themed restaurants near campus, another is set to open in Southeast Como. Ramen Kazama, a Japanese soup shop, will open near the corner of 15th Ave SE and Como Ave SE by early December. The restaurant will likely face competition among the many Asian-style restaurants around the University of Minnesota.

UMN unveils transgender oral history exhibit

The University of Minnesota unveiled an exhibit documenting the history of the transgender and gender non-conforming community on Thursday. The exhibit, titled “'In Their Own Words': The Tretter Transgender Oral History Project,” is on display at the Elmer L. Andersen Library. A celebration was held for the exhibit, which included an announcement about the project’s future. 

CPM Companies rebrands amid criticism

A local housing developer has rebranded its business. CPM Companies officially changed its name to North Bay Companies on Oct. 1. Previous tenants of the developer believe the business rebranded to leave behind its negative history.

Dinkytown business owners call for more area surveillance

Dinkytown business owners and managers are voicing concern over a lack of surveillance in the neighborhood. Many owners say area nightlife can be unsafe for employees and customers due to inadequate security monitoring. Business owners are calling for the installation of more security cameras in response to the concerns.

Dinkytown Business Alliance faces declining participation

The Dinkytown Business Alliance is struggling to bring new businesses into the fold.   DBA has brought Dinkytown’s business owners together for the last 69 years, with a mission to “strengthen the business climate of the Dinkytown commercial area.” But the organization has seen declining interest from local businesses, with some disagreeing with the way it’s run. 

Ramen and barbecue restaurant coming to Dinkytown

A new Japanese restaurant is coming to Dinkytown, occupying the former space of Baldy’s BBQ. Ichiddo Ramen & BBQ, a Japanese restaurant offering authentic ramen and barbecue options, will open its doors in Dinkytown in November. Owner Tony Yang said he wants to introduce the University community to authentic Japanese cuisines. 

Media