Bella Dally-Steele

Articles

Federal regulations play a key role in UMN scholarship distribution

Not all incoming University of Minnesota students know where their federal aid will end up this fall. For students who receive need-based financial aid, federal regulations require universities adjust their financial aid packages when they report extra scholarships to ensure aid isn't over-awarded.

Queering sexual health: UMN professor tackles prostate cancer

Five years after his husband was diagnosed with prostate cancer, a University of Minnesota professor is working to improve rehabilitation treatment for LGBT survivors of the disease. On Tuesday, Simon Rosser, an epidemiology professor at the University of Minnesota, received a $3 million  National Cancer Institute grant to study the rehabilitation of LGBT prostate cancer survivors. The study is the first NIH-funded study of its kind.

Man charged with second degree murder along with two UMN robberies

A man charged with second degree murder in a botched July robbery is the same who committed two robberies on the University of Minnesota campus, according to charges. Benjamin Love's charges cover six counts of aggravated robbery over a two week period, in addition to a prior robbery offense and domestic assault misdemeanor in 2016. The 44-year-old was charged Monday in Hennepin County District Court. Love allegedly killed one victim of the robberies off campus at a parking ramp.

Explorers brave Twin Cities underground

Deep below St. Paul’s streets sprawls a web of abandoned utility tunnels, the remnants of a once-great underground service system. These tunnels, known as the Labyrinth, now lie in semi-abandonment, discarded by their original owners and frequented only by the subterranean prospectors of our time: urban explorers.

University systems crash with unknown cause

Late Monday night, the University of Minnesota’s data center experienced an outage, crashing the University’s IT systems. The outage, which affected “the brains” of many University systems, was noticed almost immediately, and IT professionals have been working to recover the affected systems ever since, said Bernard Gulachek, Vice President of the Office of Information Technology.

UMPD preps for Super Bowl LII

As football fever approaches, University police are prepping for the unexpected. As part of a larger initiative, the University of Minnesota Police Department hosted a soft-shooter training Tuesday at Coffman Memorial Union, where officers learned how to diffuse possible active shooters at the upcoming Super Bowl.

Minneapolis Police Chief Janeé Harteau resigns in wake of Justine Damond shooting

Janeé Harteau, the Minneapolis Police Chief, stepped down from her role Friday after multiple city council members called for her resignation. Harteau's resignation comes just days after MPD Officer Mohamed Noor shot and killed Justine Damond, an Australia native, in south Minneapolis on July 15. The incident sparked international outrage, with the Australian Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull calling the shooting "shocking" and "inexplicable". Minneapolis Mayor Betsy Hodges said she was "heartsick and deeply disturbed" by the July 15 shooting.

Media