Bella Dally-Steele

Articles

Queering sexual health: UMN professor tackles prostate cancer

Five years after his husband was diagnosed with prostate cancer, a University of Minnesota professor is working to improve rehabilitation treatment for LGBT survivors of the disease. On Tuesday, Simon Rosser, an epidemiology professor at the University of Minnesota, received a $3 million  National Cancer Institute grant to study the rehabilitation of LGBT prostate cancer survivors. The study is the first NIH-funded study of its kind.

Man charged with second degree murder along with two UMN robberies

A man charged with second degree murder in a botched July robbery is the same who committed two robberies on the University of Minnesota campus, according to charges. Benjamin Love's charges cover six counts of aggravated robbery over a two week period, in addition to a prior robbery offense and domestic assault misdemeanor in 2016. The 44-year-old was charged Monday in Hennepin County District Court. Love allegedly killed one victim of the robberies off campus at a parking ramp.

Explorers brave Twin Cities underground

Deep below St. Paul’s streets sprawls a web of abandoned utility tunnels, the remnants of a once-great underground service system. These tunnels, known as the Labyrinth, now lie in semi-abandonment, discarded by their original owners and frequented only by the subterranean prospectors of our time: urban explorers.

University systems crash with unknown cause

Late Monday night, the University of Minnesota’s data center experienced an outage, crashing the University’s IT systems. The outage, which affected “the brains” of many University systems, was noticed almost immediately, and IT professionals have been working to recover the affected systems ever since, said Bernard Gulachek, Vice President of the Office of Information Technology.

UMPD preps for Super Bowl LII

As football fever approaches, University police are prepping for the unexpected. As part of a larger initiative, the University of Minnesota Police Department hosted a soft-shooter training Tuesday at Coffman Memorial Union, where officers learned how to diffuse possible active shooters at the upcoming Super Bowl.

Minneapolis Police Chief Janeé Harteau resigns in wake of Justine Damond shooting

Janeé Harteau, the Minneapolis Police Chief, stepped down from her role Friday after multiple city council members called for her resignation. Harteau's resignation comes just days after MPD Officer Mohamed Noor shot and killed Justine Damond, an Australia native, in south Minneapolis on July 15. The incident sparked international outrage, with the Australian Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull calling the shooting "shocking" and "inexplicable". Minneapolis Mayor Betsy Hodges said she was "heartsick and deeply disturbed" by the July 15 shooting.

City council members call for Minneapolis Police Chief to step down

Three city council members said Minneapolis Police Chief Janeé Harteau should be replaced at a council meeting Friday. Council Members Jacob Frey, Ward 3, Andrew Johnson, Ward 12 and Linea Palmisano, Ward 13, said Harteau’s handling of a recent officer involved shooting merits her resignation or termination and called for more oversight of the MPD.

PTSD patients offered cannabis treatment, but hurdles remain

Next month, Minnesotans with post-traumatic stress disorder will be able to register for cannabis-based therapy. Minnesota is now the 25th state to recognize PTSD as a cannabis-treatable condition after the Office of Medical Cannabis opened registration July 1, and patients will start receiving the medication Aug.

New neuro tech might be perfect evidence for courtrooms, U study shows

As memory-testing technology becomes increasingly common in courthouses and police precincts, one University of Minnesota law professor is testing the gizmos to prevent misuse. Professor Francis Shen and a team of neuroscience and law students published a report in June showing jurors trust evidence from new memory-testing technology enough to merit its implementation, but not so much that it threatens to over-influence their vote. When it comes to introducing new neuro-technology to courts and police houses, Shen said, hitting this legal sweet spot is key. The technology in question, Electroencephalography Memory Recognition (EEG), is used to detect if a subject recognizes a given image or word by tracking activity in memory hotspots of the brain through a skull cap equipped with sensors, said Emily Twedell, a research professional on the project. The technology works as a more accurate and specialized lie detector, and could help lawyers or police determine if a subject is lying about recognizing unique stolen property, a victim or a crime scene, Shen said. “The idea is that law can do its job more effectively with the advent of new technology,” Shen said.

Media