Bella Dally-Steele

Articles

U professors work to engineer slower cancer cells

While most engineers work to make the most efficient machinery possible, one University of Minnesota professor is doing just the opposite when it comes to engineering cancer cells. Scientists may be able to stall antsy cancer cells mid-spread by tricking them into sluggishness, according to ongoing research led by David Odde, a biomedical professor at the University and key investigator in a nationwide initiative bringing engineers and other disciplines in treatment research. Last fall, with an $8.2 million grant from the National Cancer Institute, the University launched the Physical Sciences in Oncology Center to pioneer a nontraditional, engineering based approach to cancer research.

UMPD gives body cameras a try

If you’re spending time around University of Minnesota police, remember to smile — because you might be on camera. After months of planning, the UMPD started distributing tester body cameras to officers June 14. For the next two months, officers will wear the cameras and give feedback on their usability.

Minneapolis City Council looks to restrict menthol tobacco

Two years after banning flavored tobacco from corner stores, the Minneapolis City Council is ready to swipe mint flavors from the aisles as well. Ward 2 Council Member Cam Gordon and Ward 10 Council Member Lisa Bender introduced a proposal on Friday to add menthol or mint flavored tobacco to the existing blacklist that keeps other child-enticing flavors, like bubblegum and cherry, off convenience store shelves. Twin Cities activists have been working to take down menthol for years but the flavor’s popularity and big tobacco’s affinity for it has made progress difficult, said Betsy Brock, research director for the Association of Nonsmokers–Minnesota. The association teamed up with Minneapolis’ Northpoint Health and Wellness Center to conduct research, education and outreach initiatives to get the policy to city council, Brock said. The agencies found menthol products are disproportionately used by youth, black and LGBT communities, said LaTrisha Vetaw, policy manager for Northpoint.

Journalists among those arrested at Castile rally

Two Minneapolis reporters were arrested Friday night during a confrontation between law enforcement and those protesting the acquittal Philando Castile’s shooter. Susan Du, a City Pages reporter, and Minnesota Daily Campus Editor David Clarey were among the 18 arrested by the Minnesota State Patrol for lingering on Interstate 94 at the end of Friday’s protests and were held in Ramsey County’s Adult Detention Center overnight. Clarey was arrested at about 12:40 a.m.

UMN Fairview hospital struggles with patient security

In recent months, the University of Minnesota’s Fairview–Riverside Medical Center allowed at least seven major security breaches, including a patient who escaped the hospital on June 4, according to health agencies and those close to patients. All seven cases affected mental health patients, including one that led to an investigation by the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services, a federal agency within the U.S.

Meet Gator: The UMPD’s newest bomb-sniffing dog

There’s a new dog in town at the University of Minnesota Police Department, a lively Labrador with a superb snout. The dog, Gator, completed canine training May 25 with his handler, Officer Allan Cunningham.

U researchers develop new method to treat rare skin disease

Research by University of Minnesota doctors is helping patients with a blistering skin condition grow stronger through bone marrow transplants. University researchers have been developing a new method since 2007 to treat Epidermolysis Bullosa, a disorder that causes theskin to tear at the slightest touch.

Negligence lawsuit filed against UMN Fairview

A University of Minnesota hospital is facing a lawsuit for failing to protect its patients. The lawsuit, filed Tuesday, claims Fairview hospital failed to properly secure a dangerous patient last fall after he sexually assaulted a developmentally disabled 15-year-old, allowing him to return and assault her again, KSTP-TV reported. The victim was staying in the adult emergency department after a mental health crisis when Jamal Strong, a 29-year-old patient, entered her room and assaulted her before hospital employees stopped him, according to KSTP-TV. Hospital workers removed him, but Strong returned minutes later and continued to assault the girl for nearly half an hour before he was caught again. Jeff Storms, the victim’s attorney, said the family is looking for a two-pronged response from the hospital. “Obviously we want to see compensation for [the victim], for her suffering from PTSD and other related symptoms,” Storms said.

UMN reports additional mild mumps cases among students

The number of University of Minnesota students diagnosed with mumps is up to 25­­­­­, after the University reported seven students with the infection in late April. All cases so far have been mild and only among vaccinated students, said Medical School Dean Brooks Jackson in an email to University students, faculty and staff Friday. Gary Christenson, Chief Medical Officer at Boynton Health, said the sudden uptick in cases is likely due to the 16 to 18-day duration of the illness when students can infect each other up to two days before and four days after symptoms stop showing.