Bella Dally-Steele

Articles

UMN reports additional mild mumps cases among students

The number of University of Minnesota students diagnosed with mumps is up to 25­­­­­, after the University reported seven students with the infection in late April. All cases so far have been mild and only among vaccinated students, said Medical School Dean Brooks Jackson in an email to University students, faculty and staff Friday. Gary Christenson, Chief Medical Officer at Boynton Health, said the sudden uptick in cases is likely due to the 16 to 18-day duration of the illness when students can infect each other up to two days before and four days after symptoms stop showing.

New Minneapolis sick leave rules receive praise, questions

Minneapolis residents will be able to voice opinions on the city’s new sick and safe time rules until May 1, which expand paid sick time options for workers. Under the new regulations that begin July 1, city businesses with six or more employees must provide employees paid sick time; businesses of five or fewer must do the same, but may choose to provide it unpaid. During the public comment period, many city residents have voiced their support of these new rules, but some business owners worry about resulting administrative changes.

For UMN student security monitors, bridge crises bring anxiety

When a student is in crisis on the Washington Avenue Bridge, the task of talking them off the ledge often falls to student security monitors. With far more security monitors on campus than police officers, the monitors are often left in charge of high stress situations, like reports of a potentially suicidal student.

After UMN report, changes could come to Minneapolis strip clubs

As Minneapolis mulls stricter strip club regulations, St. Paul’s history with the industry may inform what effects changes could have. Minneapolis city council members said they would consider policy changes after a report last month on the working conditions of entertainers.

Student leaders suggests improvements for UMN free speech policies

Students may soon have clearer guidelines for how they can exercise speech on campus. With several high-profile cases nationwide and at the University of Minnesota, the Student Representatives to the Board of Regents want the University to clarify its policies on campus free speech.

UMN students gather at Coffman Union for local 'Day Without Women' rally

Around 50 students from Twin Cities colleges gathered in front of Coffman Union Wednesday for a daylong, nationwide strike, called “A Day Without Women.” The strike, which coincided with International Women’s Day, was aimed at levying resistance against President Donald Trump’s administration by skipping work and refusing to spend money.

Hennepin County to add UMN students to advisory board

The Hennepin County Sheriff’s Office is planning to add two University of Minnesota student-volunteers to a board that provides county feedback. Sophomore Joshua Reece and junior Sabrina Toth — security monitors for the University — may soon join the Hennepin County Sheriff’s Community Advisory Board for a two-year term.