Daily Editorial Board

Articles

Editorial: Why we should listen to the message behind the Ben Shapiro lawsuit

Young America’s Foundation, Students for a Conservative Voice and conservative speaker Ben Shapiro are suing the University of Minnesota for discrimination and violation of First Amendment rights after Shapiro’s February speaking event was relocated to a smaller venue on the St. Paul campus, with the University citing as security reasons as its motive. 

Editorial: You are welcome here

With the recent decision of the U.S. Supreme Court to uphold U.S. President Donald Trump’s travel ban comes another example of how driven our current administration is to put forth policy fueled by fearmongering, all while trying to skirt accusations of Islamophobia with the inclusion of Venezuela and North Korea on the list of countries whose citizens are refused visas. 

Editorial: UMN should reinstate reproductive rights fellowship

Last month, the University of Minnesota delayed an reproductive rights fellowship after an outcry from a conservative media source and anti-abortion groups, with Medical School Dean Jakub Tolar ultimately stating the school would examine the “value of this training in the context of our mission” over the coming year. The University's reactionary decision to delay sponsoring this fellowship has potential for a myriad of negative short- and long-term consequences for the University, as well as for the entire state of reproductive health care.  

Editorial: Reflecting on a politically driven, surprising year in news

From Super Bowl activities on campus to April blizzards, the student body at the University had an eventful 2017-2018 school year. Through it all, we at the Minnesota Daily have enjoyed covering the action and delivering the news. We would like to take a moment to reflect on fall 2017 and spring 2018 and look ahead to future semesters. 

Editorial: Practice self-care this finals season

As the school year wraps up, we find it important to remind all students to take care of themselves throughout the stressful exam season. The last few weeks of the semester are often responsible for students' stress. For this reason, we encourage all readers to utilize self-care and keep their mental health in-check.