Daily Editorial Board

Articles

Editorial: University professors should consider cost of textbooks

The process that professors use to determine the correct textbook for a class is presently very opaque. While certainly some professors may be open to students’ requests to use former editions of books, there hasn’t been a systematic adjustment of policy at the University level.  Professors at the University should be required to select books that are not only available online, but more importantly, are inexpensive.

Editorial: Career fairs should not divide the University campus

We recommend the University change their career fair policy. Students, regardless of their college, should be able to attend the career fair of another college. This will have important benefits — first, this should reduce unnecessary stereotypes and inequality in the resources that students of different colleges obtain. Second, it will allow alumni who have transitioned to another field to reap the benefits of having attended the University. An alumnus who attended CSE, but now has transitioned to business should be allowed to attend Carlson’s career fair. 

Editorial: Campus policing statistics promising, yet issues arise

Students should always feel safe in learning spaces, and statistics show that compared to other similar Big Ten campuses, the University is a relatively safe campus. However, there is an alarming statistic in the data. The robbery rate on campus is more than twice as large as the campus with the next-highest rate, which is the University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Editorial: Renaming Coffman is necessary but insufficient

By simply changing the name, students in future generations may forget the historical aggression brought out by former University administrations. This is absolutely undesirable, and future student bodies, including our own, must confront the problems head on. This requires efforts centered around education and necessitates infrastructural changes. Condensing the movement to a catchphrase like “Rename Coffman” is not only problematic, but highly simplistic. It ignores the vastness of the issues the University has. 

Editorial: Student debt increases warrant government action

Some may argue that tuition hikes are to blame for the problem of increased debt student debt, however, the University’s funding continues to shrink annually. In order to maintain a quality of education, it’s imperative the University compensate costs in some way. Hopefully, solutions will not often fall upon the shoulders of students. Rising graduate debt also warrants an increased need for students to explore technical and community colleges. According to the Association of Community Colleges, average tuition at a two-year community college is more than 50 percent lower than the average in-state tuition for resident students. 

Editorial: New housing development plans need regulation

A new apartment complex means more housing opportunities for the people of Minneapolis and, specifically, University of Minnesota students. The student body claims a large part of northeast Minneapolis with over 50,000 students enrolled in the University. Although the University boasts a great community throughout Stadium Village, Dinkytown, Marcy-Holmes and several other neighborhoods, this makes housing opportunities limited and, thus, expensive. 

Editorial: International student groups should be safe space for all

Student groups are an important part of college life. For many students, they are a place to find a sense of purpose and community. International student groups are especially valuable because a significant portion of the University of Minnesota's student body is from another country — 9.2 percent, as of 2015. Living in a foreign country can be exciting, but also challenging, and these groups become a space for students who are far from their own homes to feel more at home on campus.