Daily Editorial Board

Articles

Editorial: Reflecting on a politically driven, surprising year in news

From Super Bowl activities on campus to April blizzards, the student body at the University had an eventful 2017-2018 school year. Through it all, we at the Minnesota Daily have enjoyed covering the action and delivering the news. We would like to take a moment to reflect on fall 2017 and spring 2018 and look ahead to future semesters. 

Editorial: Practice self-care this finals season

As the school year wraps up, we find it important to remind all students to take care of themselves throughout the stressful exam season. The last few weeks of the semester are often responsible for students' stress. For this reason, we encourage all readers to utilize self-care and keep their mental health in-check. 

Editorial: The importance of student newsrooms and how you can help

We would like to stand by our colleagues at student newspapers across the country and issue a reminder about the importance of independent student journalism. On the University of Minnesota campus, we see ourselves as seekers of truth. We strive to hold everyone, especially our University and its vast personnel, accountable for their actions, good or bad. 

Editorial: Starbucks' racial bias training not enough

While some show support for Starbucks and the steps they are taking toward equal treatment of all customers, others view the decision as insufficient. With the intention of training against racial bias to stop future incidents, Starbucks closing their doors for one afternoon is a step in the right direction. It is important for the company to recognize that the incident could happen again. 

Editorial: UMPD budget should remain untouched

Amid a relatively peaceful yet frigid spring semester, the University of Minnesota Police Department continues to serve the University community and keep our expansive campus relatively safe. Although UMPD has handled campus safety smoothly, questions have surfaced regarding UMPD funding and the limit of its capabilities.  

Editorial: 'It Ends Here' a well-rounded and important MSA campaign

Just last week, the Minnesota Student Association launched a wide-spread campaign aiming to combat sexual assault on campus. This movement is what this campus needs. The “It Ends Here” campaign attempts to tackle many facets of sexual misconduct by attempting to curb culture, conversation and policy on the University of Minnesota campus. 

Editorial: Sinclair Broadcast Group's message very troubling

The unveiling of Sinclair Broadcast Group’s methods and motives is a great opportunity to remind the general public that media diversity is incredibly important, regardless of ideology. Unfortunately, this incident is evidence that some media may be biased to a fault, and incorporating news from several sources, platforms and media has never been more necessary.