Daily Editorial Board

Articles

Editorial: Rising everyday campus fees may create barrier to entry for low-income students

In May, University of Minnesota President Eric Kaler announced a bill that raised in-state tuition at the University by 2 percent. Implemented this fall, in-state students saw an increase of about $258, excluding student fees. Our campus also saw a recent increase in parking fees, with almost every parking lot around campus increasing by at least one dollar. 

Editorial: More needs to be done, individually, to combat homelessness

We hear it all the time: “You should be volunteering to help out your local homeless population.” We hear it in our classes, in our places of worship and in our workplace. We are given multiple opportunities to help, whether it be working at a local food drive, helping a local shelter or donating money to a national GoFundMe campaign. However, more needs to be done to combat homelessness. 

Editorial: Students deserve a voice in the upcoming presidential search

As the Minnesota Daily earlier reported, many students have a desire to be included more heavily in the process of electing a new president. During the last presidential search, the University only had one student — someone from the Minnesota Student Association — on the search committee. 

Editorial: Why we should listen to the message behind the Ben Shapiro lawsuit

Young America’s Foundation, Students for a Conservative Voice and conservative speaker Ben Shapiro are suing the University of Minnesota for discrimination and violation of First Amendment rights after Shapiro’s February speaking event was relocated to a smaller venue on the St. Paul campus, with the University citing as security reasons as its motive. 

Editorial: You are welcome here

With the recent decision of the U.S. Supreme Court to uphold U.S. President Donald Trump’s travel ban comes another example of how driven our current administration is to put forth policy fueled by fearmongering, all while trying to skirt accusations of Islamophobia with the inclusion of Venezuela and North Korea on the list of countries whose citizens are refused visas.