Letter to the Editor

Articles

Letter to the Editor: The gray-haired gopher

It was almost serendipitous that I stumbled upon the Senior Citizen Education Program. There it was in an article about great education benefits for us older people. It doesn’t take much to explain SCEP: any Minnesota resident over the age of 62 can audit a class at the University of Minnesota for free or take classes for credit at a ridiculously low tuition rate. 

Letter to the Editor: Don't punish pain

Few would argue the need for a solution to end the drug abuse and addiction that ravage our communities. But as lawmakers consider necessary legislative action, they must not forget their constituents with legitimate pain management needs. In fact, many of us gathered in September for the “Don’t Punish Pain” rally in St. Paul to voice our concern over legislation and regulations that target legal opioid medications.  

Letter to the Editor: West Bank "improvement district" sets forth misconceptions

The Oct. 8 article, "West Bank liaisons could improve security and livability of neighborhood," sets forth some misconceptions. Establishment of an "improvement district" would not require "support from a majority of neighborhood businesses," but approval of at least 65 percent of the commercial property ownership. Several years ago, such an attempt was crushed by overwhelming opposition from the West Bank's property owners.  

Letter to the Editor: On the minimum wage

Recently, there has been a push for a raise in student wages from the state minimum of $9.65 per hour to the current Minneapolis minimum of $11.25 per hour. Proponents claim this is justified out of student need. However, it is apparent to some that this claim is a scientific abomination, born out of emotion rather than reason.

Is exclusion a function of population?

In such a diversified student body, how many of us really endure protracted desolation, depression, or even direct or indirect ostracism? Is exclusion a function of population, or is it merely an anomaly? The answer is more nuanced than intuitive. Firstly, many students have never experienced the overwhelming nature of the novelty that they are exposed to. 

Letter to the Editor: Kavanaugh nomination deserves a fully deliberative and robust examination

As a survivor of workplace harassment and sexual violence, I know what it is like when your abuser is rewarded by society, free from the weight of their actions. That weight is transferred to the survivor who carries the burden of their trauma. When a survivor chooses to share their experiences we often ask them: “Why now? Why did you wait?” Implicitly, we question their actions; though they shouldn’t have had to come forward about their trauma in the first place.

Letter: Response to 'SJP event on Palestine history unhelpful and misleading'

I delivered the lecture at this SJP event. Maya Strohm and Shay Burke (the students) in their letter to the editor accused me of “cherry-picking quotes [from the Torah] to disparage the values of Judaism,” and said that “our campus should refuse to accept this bigotry toward the Jewish community” and “the student group (SJP) plans events led by biased, misinformed individuals who spew anti-Semitic rhetoric.” In short, they committed “criminal defamation” by publicly labeling me a bigot and an anti-Semite. 

Letter: Not all Trump supporters are against human rights

I was deeply disappointed by the front page article of the April 9 edition of the Minnesota Daily. The article, entitled “U researchers aim to learn how voters view rights,” seemed to imply that all Donald Trump supporters “have strong values that are nationalistic and at odds with the universal values traditionally tied to human rights.” The assumption is a generalization and, I believe, an unfair one.