Letter to the Editor

Articles

Letter: Response to 'SJP event on Palestine history unhelpful and misleading'

I delivered the lecture at this SJP event. Maya Strohm and Shay Burke (the students) in their letter to the editor accused me of “cherry-picking quotes [from the Torah] to disparage the values of Judaism,” and said that “our campus should refuse to accept this bigotry toward the Jewish community” and “the student group (SJP) plans events led by biased, misinformed individuals who spew anti-Semitic rhetoric.” In short, they committed “criminal defamation” by publicly labeling me a bigot and an anti-Semite. 

Letter: Not all Trump supporters are against human rights

I was deeply disappointed by the front page article of the April 9 edition of the Minnesota Daily. The article, entitled “U researchers aim to learn how voters view rights,” seemed to imply that all Donald Trump supporters “have strong values that are nationalistic and at odds with the universal values traditionally tied to human rights.” The assumption is a generalization and, I believe, an unfair one. 

Letter: SJP event on Palestine history unhelpful and misleading

What is the best way to promote peace in the Middle East? Though the answer is not clear, it is certainly not spewing incorrect and anti-Semitic rhetoric to students on campus. On April 2, UMN's chapter of Students for Justice in Palestine hosted an event titled “Palestine 101: A Beginner’s Guide to Palestine.” Based on the title and description, I thought the event’s aim was to educate students on Palestinian politics, history and culture. I was wrong. 

Letter: Altering the personal exemption rules for vaccination

At the turn of the century, the United States declared measles eradicated from our country. Fast forward to 2017, when Minnesota experienced the largest outbreak of measles in 20 years. This outbreak cost Minnesota an estimated $1 million and approximately 90 percent of those infected by this outbreak were unvaccinated children. 

Letter: Why Islam Awareness Week is necessary on college campuses

Although Muslims are at the center of attention in the media, the public and even at the dinner table, they are rarely involved in these discussions. From conservatives who try to restrict Muslims from entering the United States to liberals who strive to “save” Muslim women, debates and conversations about Muslims occur regularly, but Muslims are not being invited.