Minnesota Daily Staff

Articles

After Minneapolis Police Chief Janeé Harteau resigns, protesters disrupt City Hall

Minneapolis Police Chief Janeé Harteau resigned Friday at Mayor Betsy Hodges' request, spurring protest at City Hall. Hodges chose Assistant Chief Medaria "Rondo" Arradondo to replace Harteau for the rest of her term. Her departure came just days after MPD Officer Mohamed Noor shot and killed Justine Damond, an Australia native, in south Minneapolis July 15. 

Protesters interrupt Hodges' press conference on Harteau resignation

Protesters overtook a room packed with journalists Friday evening where Minneapolis Mayor Betsy Hodges held a press conference to discuss Minneapolis Police Chief Jeneé Harteau's resignation earlier that day. "We do not want you as the mayor of Minneapolis, and we are asking you to resign," said the man who first interrupted Hodges' conference. 

Thousands march after Castile verdict

Since Philando Castile’s shooting death last July, his family, friends and the millions who watched his final minutes online waited for a verdict in the case against the officer involved. Now, after a year of marches, hearings and a growing number of national cases with similar verdicts, anger turned into resignation until Friday’s not guilty verdict in a prolonged trial struck many as unsurprising — and thousands took to the streets in protest. St.

Sen. Dziedzic re-elected to senate seat in District 60

Sen. Kari Dziedzic, DFL-Minneapolis, was re-elected to her Minnesota Senate seat in District 60, beating Legal Marijuana Now candidate Marty Super by about 22,700 votes. Dziedzic was first elected to the Senate in January 2012 in a special election and was re-elected in November 2012.

Keith Ellison reelected to U.S. House

Incumbent Democrat Keith Ellison secured a victory over opponent Frank Drake Tuesday in Minnesota’s 5th Congressional District. The result was one-sided, with Ellison garnering more than 69 percent of the vote. The district includes Minneapolis and some surrounding suburbs.

On University of Minnesota campus, many hoped for a Hillary Clinton win

With the White House, Congress and the control of the state Legislature on the line Tuesday, University of Minnesota students flocked to the polls Tuesday to cast their votes in a variety of local and national races. Many stopped by community centers, churches and other voting spots to cast ballots for the first time early Tuesday.

Philando Castile shooting shows reality of racial bias in law enforcement says Obama, Gov. Dayton

Following national outcry, Gov. Mark Dayton called for a federal investigation into the death of Philando Castile — a black, St. Paul man — who was killed in an officer-involved shooting Wednesday night. Castile was shot by a St. Anthony law enforcement officer in Falcon Heights during what appeared to be a routine traffic stop for a broken taillight. The police officer involved has been put on administrative leave, Saint Anthony Village City Manager Mark Casey said in a statement.