Sydney Baum-Haines

Articles

Behind UMN research, a 'cool' breakthrough in cryopreservation

For the first time ever, a fish embryo survived being frozen and thawed, which could help preserve species and repopulate oceans. For decades, researchers have successfully cryopreserved — frozen and thawed — mammal embryos and a variety of animal sperm, but scientists were unable to do the same for fish embryos. Now, with a pairing of gold nanoparticles and lasers that thaw at millions of degrees per minute, University of Minnesota scientists successfully cryopreserved zebra fish embryos.

The Science of Smiles

How do people perceive different smiles? Sofia Lyford-Pike, University of Minnesota assistant professor, assembled a top-notch team to study just that. Lyford-Pike, a facial plastic and reconstructive surgeon, works on patients with paralyzed faces.

A shell upgrade for Seemore the sea turtle

Eight years ago, Seemore the sea turtle was swimming off the coast of Florida when she was stuck by a boat, cracking her shell. The accident left the green sea turtle with the deceptively cute named affliction, “bubble butt syndrome.” After finding a home and a temporary treatment at the Mall of America’s Sea Life Aquarium, Seemore is set to receive a more permanent solution for her ailment from a team of University of Minnesota students.

Scientists not renewed for a second term advising the EPA, UMN professor among them

The Environmental Protection Agency did not renew several scientists’ positions, including a University of Minnesota professor, worrying some academics. The EPA sent an email June 19 telling 38 Board of Scientific Counselors members — responsible for reviewing the quality of EPA’s science research — that they would not get a second term.

Top UMN administrator set to take job in Illinois

A top University of Minnesota administrator is leaving for a similar position at the University of Illinois. Danita Brown Young, Vice Provost for Academic Affairs and Dean of Students, will be Illinois’ next Vice Chancellor of Student Affairs starting August 7, pending approval from the Illinois Board of Trustees, the University of Illinois announced. The school offered Brown Young the position earlier this month and she accepted soon after.

U researchers delve into biodiversity practices

About 25 years ago, David Tilman began to explore biodiversity’s importance. Working with the University of Minnesota’s Cedar Creek Ecosystem Science Reserve, Tillman and other researchers first thought they would find some significance but underestimated just how important it is. “Biodiversity matters immensely, much more than we ever imagined,” he said. Today, Tilman reviews how human growth has historically affected biodiversity.

UMN researchers create new 3D printing method

A team of University of Minnesota scientists has developed a futuristic method of 3D printing. Michael McAlpine, associate professor of mechanical engineering at the University, and his lab created a new method of 3D printing that prints working electronics on uneven surfaces.