Donohue tapped as interim General Counsel

William Donohue will replace General Counsel Mark Rotenberg May 22 while the University searches for a permanent head lawyer.
Deputy General Counsel William Donohue poses in the McNamara Alumni Center Office of the General Counsel. Donohue will replace Mark Rotenberg, who will step down this month after more than 20 years as general counsel.
May 06, 2013

University of Minnesota President Eric Kaler announced William Donohue as the school's next general counsel Monday.

Donohue will replace General Counsel Mark Rotenberg, who recently resigned to take a position at Johns Hopkins University in Maryland.

Pending approval by the Board of Regents Friday, Donohue will take over as the University’s top May 22 and could serve until summer 2015, Kaler said an email obtained by the Minnesota Daily.

Donohue has served as deputy general counsel since 1996 and has been in the Office of the General Counsel since 1982.

Before his time at the OGC, Donohue was on the staff of the Minnesota Attorney General and received his law degree from the University in 1974, according to the email.

Kaler said the search for a permanent general counsel will begin in the next year and a half.

“I am confident that Bill’s leadership qualifications, experience and deep institutional knowledge will enable him to successfully lead the OGC,” Kaler said in the email.