Regents approve new alcohol licenses, U DREAM Act

The board also recommended a raise for President Eric Kaler, which he donated to scholarships.

The University of Minnesota Board of Regents passed measures allowing in-state tuition for undocumented students and applications for alcohol sales on campus Wednesday during their monthly meeting.

During the two and a half hour meeting, the board also recommended a raise for President Eric Kaler, discussed University research and heard from University athletics director Norwood Teague.

DREAM Act passes

In a split vote, the board passed a resolution that will allow some undocumented students access to in-state tuition rates.

The Minnesota Legislature passed the bill known as the “DREAM Act” last May, allowing in-state tuition for undocumented students at other colleges and universities in the state. The bill requested that the University of Minnesota adopt a similar provision.

In order to qualify for in-state tuition, students must have attended a Minnesota high school for at least three years and received a diploma, according to Karen Hanson, senior vice president for academic affairs and provost.

Hanson said the resolution “serves the public interest by creating a highly educated workforce to promote the cultural and economic development of the state.”

Undocumented students who qualify for in-state tuition are also eligible for scholarships and state grant money.

The estimated cost of adopting the resolution for the University is $175,000, Hanson said. 

Regent Laura Brod, who voted against the measure, expressed concerns about the costs and with granting in-state tuition to undocumented students.

“It seems like then we are granting in-state tuition for those who are undocumented, but not in-state tuition for those who are documented,” she said.

New alcohol licenses

The Board unanimously approved three new alcohol license applications for University facilities, including Les Bolstad Golf Course and Northrop Memorial Auditorium.

The University Alcohol License Oversight Committee recommended the board approve the licenses after evaluating several factors, including each facility’s plan to prevent minors from buying alcohol, University Chief of Staff Amy Phenix said.

Several regents said they were concerned other campus facilities had not applied for an alcohol license. Regent Patricia Simmons mentioned the Weisman Art Museum in particular, due to the number of events held there.

With the regents’ approval, each facility will now be able to officially apply for their alcohol licenses through the state, Phenix said.

Minnesota state law allows the University nine alcohol licenses. TCF Bank Stadium, Williams Arena, Mariucci Arena and the Minnesota Landscape Arboretum all currently hold licenses, Phenix said.

Kaler donates raise

Last month, the board gave Kaler a glowing review, calling his performance “stellar.” This month, they announced a recommendation for a raise in recognition of his performance.

The board recommended a 3 percent raise for Kaler as he begins his third year in office. But, as he did last year, Kaler opted to re-route the funds toward undergraduate scholarships.

“While, as anyone might, I would appreciate a salary raise, my principal concern does continue to be access … to this university for qualified students…” he said.

Kaler’s donated raise will add approximately $18,000 to the general undergraduate scholarship fund, according to a University press release.

Look for more on the Board of Regents meeting in the Daily’s July 17 edition.