Revered yoga leader to host class at U

Swami Veda Bharati will hold an open class to promote the deeper dimensions of yoga.
Swami Veda Bharati travels the world speaking on meditation and spends every July in Minnesota. Originally from India, Bharati now speaks 17 languages.
Image by Paul Bangasser

Swami Veda Bharati is a world renowned yoga leader, whose history includes teaching his practice to people of 17 different languages, as well as teaching to students at the University of Minnesota. The University Center for Spirituality and Healing invited Bharati back to the University to host a free class called, âÄúMeditation: The Deeper Dimension of Yoga.âÄù The event will run from 4:40 to 6:40 p.m. Wednesday in the Mayo Memorial auditorium. Bharati, now in his 70s, was born in India but spent time in the 1960s as a faculty member at the University teaching Sanskrit, a historical Indo-Aryan language. While Bharati was in Minnesota he taught people yoga in his attic, and the participation increased to a point that Bharati needed to open a separate facility. He opened the Meditation Center around 1970, now located in northeast Minneapolis, where it continues its operation today. In 2005, Bharati was given the highest honors at Buddhist and Taoist Centres of higher learning in China. The course Bharati will be teaching Wednesday is normally a graduate student course, but for the last several years the class has been open to the public when Bharati is in town. Miriam Cameron, a registered nurse and yoga therapist at the Center for Spirituality and Healing said this course will teach people about âÄúbeingâÄù meditation. âÄúIn this country, yoga is about physical fitness and buying the right kind of leotard, but yoga has a much deeper dimension,âÄù Cameron said. âÄúWhat yoga means is to join together within oneself and with the universe.âÄù Raghuram Thiagarajan, a graduate student in materials science and engineering and a board member of the Mindfulness for Students group on campus, said yoga helps him concentrate when there are a lot of things going on in his life. âÄúEveryone has their own way to de-stress when a lot is going on,âÄù Thiagarajan said. âÄúAs a student you have lots of courses and a social life, so yoga helps me focus.âÄù Cameron said the health benefits of yoga go beyond flexibility. Detachment of oneâÄôs senses and regulation of breathing are both positive physical results of consistent yoga practice. These elements come from the Indian sage, Pantanjali , something Bharati has written about in depth. BharatiâÄôs resume includes several scientific research projects on meditation, and he has written several books on the subject. His most famous publication is his 1,500-page commentary on the first two chapters of PatanjaliâÄôs Yoga Sutras. Some of BharatiâÄôs books will be on sale at the event. Bharati’s fluency in so many languages has allowed him to teach his practice to many faiths. At WednesdayâÄôs event, Bharati will address the âÄúah-haâÄù moment in yoga known as Samadhi, a Sanskrit word meaning integration, Cameron said. âÄúIt lasts for just a second and itâÄôs easy to go back to [lifeâÄôs] same confusion as usual,âÄù Cameron said, âÄúbut we can extend that to all of life, at least to a feeling of ecstasy, oneness and wisdom, and that is our birthright as human beings.âÄù The event is open to the public, and people of all levels of experience in yoga and meditation can attend.