No need to invite more to Big Dance

The NCAA tournament field should not expand to 96 teams.
stmbncaa  stbbncaa
stmbncaa stbbncaa

Look, itâ脛么s a foregone conclusion that if the Division I Menâ脛么s Basketball Committee wants to expand the Big Dance to 96 teams, then itâ脛么s going to happen. And since it appears that the change is inevitable, I might as well say why itâ脛么s a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad idea. Before I get into the good stuff, let me mention this is being written before Monday nightâ脛么s championship game, so if I make it sound like Duke will triumph, thatâ脛么s because I picked the Blue Devils to win it all (in each of my pools). The NCAA menâ脛么s basketball tournament is perfect in its current structure. It gives enough teams that donâ脛么t have a legitimate title chance the opportunity to prove they belong (Ohio vs. Georgetown, anyone?). People complained in the past when the field expanded, and those same people and their children are already indignant about further expansion. In this yearâ脛么s tournament, 11 first-round games were blowouts, with the victor winning by at least 15 points. This means at least 11 teams had no real chance at winning the title. Sprinkle a few more blowouts over the course of the tournament, and itâ脛么s quite clear that there were a maximum of 10 teams (I wouldâ脛么ve said five if Butler hadnâ脛么t proven everyone wrong) that actually had a shot at cutting down the nets in Indianapolis. The other major problem I see is that the change might just scrap the National Invitation Tournament and give most of those teams spots in the NCAA tournament. North Carolina, this yearâ脛么s NIT runner-up, lost by 10 points to Duke at home and by 32 on the road. Can you make an argument that the Tar Heels could have won a game in the NCAA tournament? Sure. Can you make an argument that the Tar Heels had a shot at the title? Absolutely not. â脛煤I don’t see any watering down at all,â脛霉 Minnesota head coach Tubby Smith said in an April 2 Associated Press story. â脛煤I think there are a number of teams playing in the NIT that could have gotten in, and I think there will be more people and more excitement with more teams in.â脛霉 I have to say Iâ脛么m a little disappointed Smith feels this way, because adding 32 more teams does water down the tournament. If 96 teams can say they accomplished something that formerly only 65 teams could claim, then it does become less important. Period. So many teams would be able to hang banners year after year that having a consecutive-tournaments-made streak would be essentially meaningless. This yearâ脛么s tournament will likely help the committee pass an amendment to expand. If No. 5-seeds like Michigan State and Butler can advance to a Final Four, then itâ脛么s certainly conceivable that other lower seeds could shock the world. The lower seeds also helped spike TV ratings to their highest level in five years. People love underdogs and feel-good stories. â脛煤Itâ脛么s not going to ruin the tournament,â脛霉 ESPN college basketball analyst Jay Bilas said in an interview with SportsCenterâ脛么s Josh Elliott last week. â脛煤Itâ脛么s still going to be great. But the question is, â脛貌Whatâ脛么s best?â脛么 and aside from a big pile of money, which I think we all think is a good thing, thereâ脛么s no other good reason to do this.â脛霉 The proposed change is all about money, and if the NCAA is so desperate to increase revenue, I have two fool-proof ideas that would prevent making this putrid change to 96 teams from being necessary. First, clone CBS commentator Gus Johnson. If Johnson somehow called every game of the tournament, revenue would increase exponentially. Guaranteed. It feels like any game Johnson calls is close, so this would (in theory) keep fans on the edge of their seats every game. Even if the games arenâ脛么t close, at least Johnson and his clones will have the innate ability to make them exciting. The second change I propose is to fix the other college postseason that needs fixing. Iâ脛么m talking about college football, if you were unsure. A move to 96 teams would make college hoops more like college football, in the sense that most bowls are meaningless at this point. For many teams, making the tournament as one of the new last 32 teams would become the equivalent of playing in the Little Caesars Pizza Bowl. Sure, you get the banner, but it doesnâ脛么t actually have any merit. Instead, I, like everyone else, say the Division I Football Committee should change its postseason to a playoff system. The revenue that such a tournament would raise could easily be enough to support the current basketball tournament, right? Letâ脛么s change the sport that needs changing, and just leave everything else alone.