Decker locked down in loss

Also, Minnesota has yet to beat a ranked team under Brewster.

Though Eric Decker extended his games-with-a-reception streak to 33 at Penn State on Saturday, the senior wide receiverâÄôs impact was minimized for the second straight week as the Nittany Lions stacked coverage and gave junior quarterback Adam Weber little time to find his favorite target. Decker recorded just one catch, a 42-yard strike down the middle of the field late in the third quarter. âÄúBoy heâÄôs some player,âÄù Penn State head coach Joe Paterno said. âÄúWe changed up on him and tried to keep the quarterback where we had enough pressure that we didnâÄôt allow those deep passes enough time to develop.âÄù A week ago against Purdue, DeckerâÄôs three catches all came in the first half , meaning he went nearly five quarters without a reception before his lone catch Saturday. âÄúI felt like a couple times I missed him and that was frustrating because we knew he would have to be involved in this game if we were going to have any chance to win,âÄù Weber said. Struggles continue against ranked opponents Minnesota still has yet to knock off a ranked opponent under third-year head coach Tim Brewster. With the loss to No. 14 Penn State, the Gophers are 0-5 against ranked teams since 2007 and have lost 12 straight to top-25 opponents. This decade, they have won just four games against ranked teams. The last was in 2005, a 42-35 double overtime win over 11th-ranked Purdue . Haudan continues impressive play Since stepping in for mononucleosis-ridden Dan Orseske, senior punter Blake Haudan has established himself as a worthy replacement. He was perhaps the only bright spot Saturday. HaudanâÄôs six punts averaged 49.8 yards and two were downed inside the 20-yard line . Defense dominates for Penn State On Saturday, the Nittany Lions made another convincing argument that they boast the best defense in the Big Ten. They still have yet to allow a first half touchdown this season and for the fifth time in seven games, Penn State held an opponent to 7 points or less. The Nittany Lions improved their Big Ten-best total defense to 238.9 yards-per-game and are giving up an average of just 8.7 points.