6:18 p.m. Eric, a student, expertly improvises an ethereal, jazzy melody on the public piano in Coffman Union.
2024 Day in the Life: April 18

Regents finalize Sviggum findings

A committee report detailed the decision to prohibit Regent Steve Sviggum from serving two roles at the University of Minnesota.

The committee investigating University of Minnesota Regent Steve SviggumâÄôs conflict of interest finalized their findings in a report to the full Board of Regents on Thursday.

Sviggum, appointed to the board in Febraury, also holds a paid fellowship in the Humphrey School of Public Affairs, prompting an inquiry into possible conflicts of interest stemming from the two roles.

The investigating ad-hoc group, comprised of three regents, found a conflict did exist and recommended that Sviggum, who served nearly 30 years in the Legislature, give up one of his jobs.

The report came after a month of review and meetings between the committee, Sviggum and legal staff.  It outlined the rationale for the finding, and recommended the board amend its policy to bar University employees from serving as regents.

According to the report, SviggumâÄôs role as a regent would involve him in decisions affecting budgets, employee compensation and academic freedom that could impact him as an employee.

SviggumâÄôs role at Humphrey, which would pay him $80,000 to teach, fundraise and write editorials on political issues, also has the potential to âÄúcreate public confusionâÄù about his role at the University, the report said.

Although Sviggum said he disagreed with the findings, he will resign one of his positions within the next few days.

Regents Chair Clyde Allen, who led the ad-hoc group, said they did not find any wrongdoing on SviggumâÄôs part, but his two roles were simply incompatible.

âÄúWe came to our conclusions and made our recommendations,âÄù Allen said. âÄúI feel the issue has been resolved.âÄù