Audrey Hull: A free spirit “who lived in the moment”

Hull, 25, was killed in a collision with a semi truck early Thursday morning while riding her bicycle near campus.

Audrey Hull had a laugh that would ring down the fifth floor halls of the Rarig Center on the University of MinnesotaâÄôs West Bank, announcing her presence the moment she stepped off the elevators to work in the production studios.
Hull, a University undergraduate, made her second home at the Rarig Center, where she worked for the College of Liberal Arts Video Services and spent hours in the studios editing audio and film projects.
The halls of the Rarig Center were quieter this weekend. Hull was killed in a collision with a semi truck early Thursday morning while riding her bicycle near campus. She was 25.
Hull was set to graduate from the University with a communications studies degree in two weeks. Her degree will be awarded posthumously.
A free spirit âÄúwho lived in the moment,âÄù HullâÄôs friends remember her contagious laugh, her sarcastic sense of humor and her creative energy.
But she transformed when she hit the production booth, where teachers and colleagues described her as analytical and systematic.
Her last project was a radio play telling the humorous story of a time-traveler sent back to the 1940s to fight communism. Serving as sound director, Hull organized audio clips and prepared the script for the show, which goes live this week.
âÄúIt sucks that we went this far and had to finish it without [her],âÄù communications studies senior Jean Park said. âÄúWhat we as a group want to do is pull it off âÄî in honor of Audrey.âÄù
Park said Hull was quick to make friends and helped bring whatever group she was a part of closer together.
Michaela Hull described her sister Audrey as âÄúintensely curiousâÄù with a love for learning.
âÄúShe wanted to stay in school forever,âÄù Michaela Hull, a University graduate student, said.
Audrey was always interested in something new, her sister said, and received a double major from Lawrence University before attending the University of Minnesota.
Peter Gregg, a teaching specialist in the communications studies department, said Hull was always active in class, critiquing her work and the work of others in the pursuit of improvement.
âÄúNot a lot of days went by when she didnâÄôt have something good to say,âÄù Gregg said. âÄúShe was interested in not just getting it done, but getting it done well.âÄù
Her interests ranged from biking to taekwondo to cats, which friends say she had a deep love for.
She could often be seen walking around campus in a red leather jacket and red boots. Both were adorned with gold studs Hull added herself.
âÄúShe did stuff like this all the time. She would find something she thought was cool but not cool enough,âÄù Michaela Hull said. âÄúThen she would make it hers.âÄù
Audrey HullâÄôs curiosity led her all over the world âÄìâÄì she taught English in Japan and traveled extensively through Europe and Asia.
Known by friends and family as Audrey, her full name was Kimberly Yeong Sil Hull. She was born in Korea. Hull spent much of her childhood growing up in Coppet, Switzerland, before moving with her family to St. Paul 10 years ago.
Hull is survived by her sister Michaela, her brother Jonathan of New York, and her parents Suzi Henrichs and Harry Hull of St. Paul.
A memorial service for Hull will be held from 5 to 7 p.m. Tuesday at the Thrust Theater in the Rarig Center.