Nebraska fans take over TCF Bank Stadium

A sea of red covered the stands as Minnesota fans left by the third quarter of Saturday’s game at TCF Bank Stadium.
Gophers fans leave the TCF Bank Stadium during the third quarter of the game Saturday against Nebraska. Huskers fans filled up approximately two-thirds of the seats at the homecoming game.
Image by Anthony Kwan
Gophers’ fans leave the TCF Bank Stadium during the third quarter of the game Saturday against Nebraska. Husker’s fans filled up approximately two-thirds of the seats at the homecoming game.

A sea of red dominated TCF Bank Stadium on Saturday, as Nebraska Huskers fans filled nearly two-thirds of the stands at the University of Minnesota Gophers homecoming game.

âÄúI definitely think we were the majority,âÄù said University student and Huskers fan, Dayna Cohen. âÄúIt was probably 70 percent Huskers when we went at 1 p.m.âÄù

Cohen, who grew up in Omaha, wore her Huskers T-shirt and sat with visiting friends and the estimated 20,000 other Nebraska fans that made the trip to Minnesota for the game.

Hotels and bars were packed this weekend, including Joe SenserâÄôs, a sports bar in Bloomington âÄî home to the booster club Minnesotans for Nebraska. The club is made up of Husker fans and University of Nebraska, Lincoln alumni living in the Twin Cities area.

Between 200 and 300 Nebraska fans fill the bar every weekend, said manager Steve DeZiel, and Saturday was no exception.

âÄúNebraska doesnâÄôt have professional sports teams,âÄù Cohen said. âÄúCollege football is the biggest thing we have in Nebraska, so itâÄôs a huge deal.âÄù

The Huskers won the game against the Gophers 41-14. Disgruntled Gopher fans began leaving the game by halftime.