Steinhaus earns weekly honors, team hosts NDSU

After losing to Cornell and upsetting Penn State last weekend, the GophersâÄô wrestling team will host North Dakota State University on Sunday at the Sports Pavilion.

The Gophers lost to Cornell on Friday before bouncing back to take down PSU.

âÄúThe coaches just told us that whatâÄôs happened has happened âÄî itâÄôs in the past and youâÄôve got to look forward,âÄù David Thorn said. âÄúI think we kind of went into Cornell and there was a lot of hype and we thought that we were just going to walk in there and do our thing and it didnâÄôt happen.âÄù

Minnesota (1-1-0, 1-0-0 Big Ten) is currently ranked No. 4 in the country but could move up when a new poll is released later this week. PSU was ranked No. 2 when the Gophers defeated the Nittany Lions on the road.

One of the main reasons for the upset was Kevin Steinhaus (184 pounds), who earned Big Ten Wrestler of the Week this week.

After a disappointing loss Friday to CornellâÄôs Steve Bosak, Steinhaus rebounded in a big way by defeating PSUâÄôs Quentin Wright on Sunday. Wright was ranked No. 1 at 184 pounds.

Steinhaus said Wright and Bosak wrestle two completely different styles.

âÄúI wrestled Quentin three times during the college season last year and once during freestyle so I kind of knew him more,âÄù he said.

Thorn (133) had a great weekend for the Gophers as well, recording a win by fall Friday and by major decision Sunday.

âÄúGetting a couple wins was nice,âÄù Thorn said. âÄúNeither of the guys I wrestled were that stellar of opponents. I knew going in that I wanted to pick up bonus points.âÄù

Because the meets were so early in the season, head assistant coach Brandon Eggum said last weekend wouldnâÄôt have much bearing on MinnesotaâÄôs fortunes.

âÄúYou can wrestle [easier] teams, and a lot of people do that,âÄù Eggum said. âÄúYou look at a lot of schedules and you see even some good teams whose schedule is so light âÄî we wanted to wrestle these schools to see where weâÄôre at.âÄù

This weekend will be the first dual of the year for the Bison.

Many wrestlers from NDSU and Minnesota ran into each other when the Gophers traveled to Fargo, N.D., for the Bison Open earlier this month.

Zach Sanders (125), Jake Deitchler (157) and Steinhaus (184) all won their respective weight classes at the Bison Open by defeating NDSU wrestlers in the title match.

Going against NDSU, Thorn said that he and the rest of the team would be looking to do more than just win their matches.