Caucuses to kick off for Mpls. City Council

Two DFLers are vying for the Ward 3 nod in May.

City Council hopefuls in Minneapolis have had Tuesday circled on their calendars for a long time.

That marks caucus night for the Democratic-Farmer-Labor Party in Minneapolis. Around 7 p.m., constituents of wards across the city will discuss local policy and nominate delegates for endorsements to city positions.

Delegates then go on to the DFL convention to vote on which candidates should receive the party’s endorsement.

In the city’s 3rd Ward, which includes some of the University of Minnesota area, caucuses will take place in each of the ward’s nine precincts.

The closest caucus
locations to the University are at St. Lawrence Church and Newman Center in Dinkytown and the First Congregational Church in the Marcy-Holmes neighborhood.

Incumbent City Councilwoman Diane Hofstede is challenged by political newcomer Jacob Frey for the city’s 3rd Ward.

The recently redistricted ward now includes parts of Downtown, but the student-heavy areas of Dinkytown and Marcy-Holmes remain.

Both candidates are hoping for a strong showing from students at the caucuses.

Conrad Zbikowski, a University student who works on Frey’s campaign, said he expects many students to come out to support Frey.

“I think we’re really excited to see what happens tomorrow night in Dinkytown and Marcy-Holmes,” he said.

Frey’s campaign will hold pre-caucus events for every precinct. The University area’s pre-caucus event will be held at Burrito Loco at 5:30 p.m.

Hofstede said she hopes students turn out for the caucus because it’s a great opportunity to have their voices heard.

“I just hope students get out and participate because it’s a real grassroots piece of making change,” she said. “Having students engaged is very important.”

Frey said he’s excited for the first step toward a potential party endorsement.

“We’ve got a ton of momentum,” he said. “We hope to show how to run a grassroots organization.”

Frey said the endorsement at the convention will essentially determine the election, so the caucuses will be extremely important.

Both candidates plan to make appearances at various precincts throughout the night.

Check Wednesday’s Minnesota Daily for further coverage of
caucus night.