Mable, Nordquist prepare for NCAA meet

The Gophers did not qualify for the team portion of the NCAA meet.
Minnesotas Lindsay Mable executes her balance beam routine at the NCAA regional competition April 5 at the Sports Pavilion. Mable won the all-around competition and qualified for the NCAA individual meet.
Image by “Daily File Photo, Chlelsea Gortmaker”
Minnesota’s Lindsay Mable executes her balance beam routine at the NCAA regional competition April 5 at the Sports Pavilion. Mable won the all-around competition and qualified for the NCAA individual meet.

Hanna Nordquist spent the last month of her sophomore season unable to compete due to illness.

She worked on her balance beam routine just three times before competing in front of a Sports Pavilion crowd at the Big Ten meet, trying to earn a spot at the NCAA meet.

“If anyone has it in her, it’s Hanna,” head coach Meg Stephenson said. “I think that shows the kind of mental strength and belief in herself she has.”

Minnesota’s raucous fan base intensified at the conference meet when Nordquist finished her routine and dismounted, landing a 9.9 score and securing a spot at nationals.

“I was proud of myself, but I really couldn’t have done it without the team,” Nordquist said. “They were just amazing.”

Now, with two weeks worth of practice, Nordquist has been able to get a few more reps in before heading down to Alabama for the NCAA meet.

“It’s been good for Hanna to get some more [practice] in,” Stephenson said.

Gophers sophomore Lindsay Mable will join Nordquist at the NCAA meet after winning the all-around competition at the Big Ten championships two weeks ago.

Mable remained a consistent cog in Minnesota’s success this season, participating in every meet.

In the last month alone, she scored the first 10 of her collegiate career and broke Minnesota’s all-around record — twice.

“Lindsay’s been amazing since freshman year,” Nordquist said. “She definitely holds her own out there. She’s kind of a beast.”

The duo has been very impressive as sophomores, which isn’t a surprise after the production they brought as freshmen.

At last year’s competition, Mable tied for fourth and fifth on floor exercise and vault, respectively, while Nordquist tied for second on balance beam.

“They came in ready to play,” Stephenson said. “It just speaks volumes for them to have made it in again.”

Though Mable and Nordquist produced impressive numbers a year ago, Stephenson said she’s asked them not to dwell on those results.

“It can be a distraction,” Stephenson said. “If you’re thinking about the outcome, you’re going to maybe not do as well as [you] need to do.”

Though both gymnasts have done their best to follow their coach’s instruction, Mable said there are some benefits to remembering last April.

“It could be a helpful factor to remember how the competition felt, what the equipment was like, what the atmosphere is like,” Mable said. “It’ll be good because when we get there, it won’t be a surprise.”

Mable said she’s excited for the weekend, but she and Nordquist are trying to not put too much pressure on themselves.

“We’re just going to do everything we can do to put on a good showing for everyone there,” Mable said.