Column: Gophers hockey team looks to national championship

The image of Matt Koalska leaping over the boards of the Gophers’ bench after scoring the game-tying goal in the 2002 national championship game still remains firmly ingrained in the minds of many Minnesota hockey fans.

The Gophers went on to take home the title in an overtime victory and won the championship again in 2003.

But those moments and memories took place more than a decade ago.

After a year in which Minnesota fans watched a national title slip through their team’s maroon and gold gloves, the expectations for head coach Don Lucia’s guys couldn’t be higher this season.

The Gophers will begin their season this weekend ranked No. 1 in the country.

Despite a subpar first period, Minnesota took care of business against the Northern Alberta Institute of Technology in an exhibition game last Saturday, defeating the Ooks 5-0.

In his postgame comments, Lucia acknowledged that the game wasn’t perfect, but he said he thought it was a good team effort.

Many fans will be quick to consider this game a dominant victory over an inferior opponent.

And while I agree the team is definitely in contention to return to the NCAA title game, it’s far too early in the season to crown the Gophers the 2015 NCAA champions.

Fair or not, the fans will inevitably apply pressure to win it all this year.

Then again, why shouldn’t they?

As Lucia noted in his press conference a week ago, the core that helped take this team to championship last April remains very much intact.

“Obviously we have a constant with Adam Wilcox in net,” Lucia told reporters. “Five returning defensemen with a lot of experience, and then nine of our 12 forwards who played in the final game last year.”

Senior forward Kyle Rau scored two goals in the team’s exhibition game and should provide invaluable leadership the rest of the season.

After giving up six goals in the 2014 NCAA title game, Wilcox — a junior — should come back this season with a chip on his shoulder.

Junior Mike Reilly also returns to lead a quality defensive unit for Minnesota.

The Gophers have talent at every end of the ice and should lock up the Big Ten for a second consecutive season unless Wisconsin or Michigan overachieves.

Minnesota’s storied history could see a new chapter written at the end of the season, and the players seem to understand that the pressure to do so comes from being a part of the Gophers program.

“I hope we make it to the last game and win it,” Rau told reporters. “That should be the only goal here at this program.”

Lucia’s contract expires at the end of the 2016-17 season.

How he and the team handle the pressure could determine not only where the Gophers are at the end of the season, but where he is.