A new page for Nick Jonas

Nick talks pizza and Prince
PHOTO COURTESY HOLLYWOOD RECORDS
PHOTO COURTESY HOLLYWOOD RECORDS

Maintaining his calm, cool and collected demeanor, 22-year-old Nick Jonas said “When Doves Cry” and “Purple Rain” are two of his favorite Prince songs.

Jonas will be stopping by the Purple Yoda’s homeland of Minneapolis during his tour to promote his self-titled album, which is set for release on Nov. 11. Jonas cites Stevie Wonder, The Weeknd, Frank Ocean and Prince among influences for his new music. The album includes 10 tracks, featuring collaborations with Demi Lovato, Mike Posner and Angel Haze.

“The main goal is to sort of continue to set up my next moves as a solo artist,” Jonas said. “I think setting any expectations is not really the way I’m trying to play it, but more just getting out there, having fun, showing the world this new music, and seeing who comes along on this journey with me.”

Previously, he released “Who I Am” as Nick Jonas and the Administration in 2010 and “Nicholas Jonas” in 2005. However, “Nick Jonas” marks the artist’s first solo venture since the official disbandment of the Jonas Brothers in 2013.

Though Nick Jonas has written many of his own songs in the past, not all of the tracks on the solo album are Jonas originals.

The single “Chains” brings forth an alternative rhythm and blues sound and showcases Jonas’ signature falsetto.

Three lines in, Nick croons, “I gave her my heart, but she wanted my soul,” a phrase that appears in Bob Dylan’s renowned ballad “Don’t Think Twice, It’s All Right.”

When asked about the inspiration for this line, Jonas explained that though he didn’t write the song and was unaware of the overlap with Dylan, he still felt a connection to the lyrical base of “Chains.”

“A lot of people are in a situation where they felt like they were taken advantage of when it comes to love, and that’s kind of what that song’s about to me,” Jonas said.

Nick co-wrote the most recent single, “Jealous,” which captures the initial negative experience of jealousy one may experience in a relationship and transforms the moment into a positive, poppy rhythm and blues tune.

“I think the song is lighthearted and sort of about my experience with jealousy and sort of more trying to explain what I was dealing with in that moment,” Jonas said. “More than anything, it’s about having fun with the song, and I’m hoping it’s a conversation about jealousy and how it’s a very human thing.”

Apart from his album and tour, Jonas anticipates the Oct. 8 debut of “Kingdom,” a drama series in which he stars as a mixed martial arts fighter, Nate Kulina.

“He sort of internalizes a lot of the stuff that goes on in his life, and I think the only way he’s learned how to deal with it so far is to fight,” Jonas said of his character. “It’s a fun journey to go on. I think the audience will really fall in love with all of these characters, and I’m excited for the world to see it.”

He also stars in “Careful What You Wish For,” a romantic thriller set for release in December. When he wasn’t working on his music or acting this past year, he’s been helping out on Demi Lovato’s tour as the music and creative director.

When it comes to developing actors and singers, Jonas says, “Work as hard as you can. No days off is a good thing when it means you’re really doing all you can to sort of get your name out there and get people aware of what you’re trying to do.”

When the entertainer has time to settle down for a bite to eat, his first choice is Italian food.

“I come from an Italian background, so pizza’s always a highlight, and pasta [for] when I’m really deciding to get crazy.”

What: Nick Jonas

Where: Fine Line Music Café, 318 First Ave. N., Minneapolis

When: 7 p.m. Friday

Cost: $29.50-45