Beauty never expires

About a dozen models — some of them seniors — will participate in a unique show this weekend.
Sarah Edwards poses at Arrow Boutique in Minneapolis on Wednesday. Edwards, with the help of her group I AM KXNDNESS, will present the I AM FABULOUS! fashion show at the Varsity Theater on Sunday to celebrate beauty and style at every age.
Image by Juliet Farmer

Revolving around youthfulness, the beauty industry often lacks representation for older generations.

To flip the narrative, event planner Sarah Edwards is hosting “I AM FABULOUS!” at the Varsity Theater on Sunday. The purpose of the event is to break the boundaries in fashion and show that beauty thrives at any age.

“I have been involved in the fashion industry for a while now, and I want it to be more open and inviting. It can be a cruel industry,” Edwards said.

The morning will include brunch and mimosas, pop-up boutiques, a screening of “Advanced Style: The Documentary” and a generational fashion show. The models will range from 8 to 98 years old.

Edwards has a knack for blending goodwill with fashion and art. One of her latest ventures, “I AM KXNDNESS,” stems from her goal of diversifying the Minneapolis art scene.

“I wanted to democratize it,” Edwards said.

Gallery-goers can purchase works of art through completing designated acts of kindness. I AM KXNDNESS along with I AM FABULOUS! opens the door for new faces in the community to participate in art and fashion around the Twin Cities.

Edwards partnered with the senior living facility, the Goodman Group, to find models for I AM FABULOUS.

“I am so passionate about hanging out with seniors. We spend so much time going, going, going, it’s important to actually sit down and have a conversation about their lives,” Edwards said.

Regional sales and marketing director of the Goodman Group, Christine Cobb, is excited for the participants.

“Each of them have a personal sense of style and beauty, and that hasn’t changed just because they are older,” Cobb said.

There will be about a dozen models participating in the show. They are eager to get dolled up in hair, makeup and wardrobe before hitting the catwalk.

Goodman Group resident Geraine Marquardt is one of the models walking in the show. At 78 years old, Marquardt is a mother of eight as well as a grandmother to 12 grandchildren. In her spare time, Marquardt can be found reading, knitting or on a walk outside, with a wide-brimmed sunhat, of course.

Prior to I AM FABULOUS!, her previous modeling experience was showcasing clothing she made in a high school sewing class. Though the fashion show will be a new experience, Marquardt said she is eager to participate.

When describing her style journey, Marquardt gushed over the fashion industry’s transition from dresses to pants for women.

“The day that slacks came into being was the best thing that could have ever happened to us ladies,” Marquardt said.

A stickler against dresses, Marquardt is known around the Goodman Group for her bright pant and blazer sets and embellished jewelry. To complete the look, Marquardt always ties her long hair up into a bun.

Marquardt labeled Julie Andrews, circa the “Sound of Music,” as one of her fashion and beauty icons.

“Modern day, I am not too intrigued with a lot of the younger women, but I always liked and respected Julie Andrews. She’s old now but still very sharp. She is still a very lovely, intelligent, well-dressed person,” Marquardt said.

Highlighting the notion that beauty comes in all forms and at all ages, I AM FABULOUS! will be a day of celebration.

“I want everyone to leave buzzing with positivity,” Edwards said.

What: “I AM FABULOUS!”

When: 10 a.m. April 26

Where: Varsity Theater, 1308 4th St. SE, Minneapolis

Cost: $40-$75