Culture Compass 6/24/2015 – 7/1/2015

Eat this:
Eli’s Donut Burgers 

Donuts? Burgers? Thanks to Eli’s, you don’t have to choose. The zany pairing is available at Eli’s Donut Burgers food truck. The gluttony wonder on wheels has made appearances at events since 2011. This past weekend, they appeared at the Blaine food truck festival. To find their next stop, visit their website.  

Jam to this:
“Like a Rolling Stone” music video

The digital agency Interlude created media buzz with their interactive music video for the Bob Dylan classic in 2013, the first and only official music video for the tune. At any time, on any channel, you can see reality television stars, cartoons, talk show hosts and Dylan lip syncing the lyrics.

Go see this:
“Inside Out” 

Pixar’s latest work has received acclaim from the New York Times, the Atlantic, the Wall Street Journal and more. The movie centers on 11-year-old Riley and her family, who have just moved from Minnesota to California. Pixar takes us on an exploration of emotions as we watch Anger, Fear, Disgust, Sadness and Joy interact inside Riley’s head. 

Friday

Twin Cities Jazz Festival

Now in its 17th year, the Twin Cities Jazz Festival offers dozens of free acts for three days at Mears Park. Stop by Friday to see the JazzMN Orchestra with Patty Peterson, Black Market Brass and What Would Monk Do, among other bands. The shows are dispersed among more than 20 nearby locations over the weekend. The expected attendance for this year is 30,000, so go jam out and make new friends.

Where Mears Park, 221 E. Fifth St., St. Paul
Hours 4-10:30 p.m.
Cost Free

Saturday

Joey Ryan and the Inks

The Minneapolis indie pop band will play the Cedar Cultural Center this weekend. Since 2009, they have released three recordings and have a new album due this year. Channeling the Beach Boys at times, the band delivers tunes made for boppin’ and hoppin’. They announced on their Facebook page that they will premiere their track “Microscope,” which recently debuted on the Local Show’s concert. 

Where Cedar Cultural Center, 416 S. Cedar Ave., Minneapolis
Hours 7 p.m.
Cost $10-$12

Sunday

“You Can’t Take It With You”

The Jungle Theater’s production of the classic comedy opened on June 19. The show will run through August 9, so if you can’t make it out Sunday, you can still catch it later this summer. The play, written by George S. Kaufman and Moss Hart, won a Pulitzer Prize in 1937. This rendition is directed by Gary Gisselman, and it will be his first show for the Jungle Theater.

Where Jungle Theater, 2951 S. Lyndale Ave., Minneapolis
Hours 2 p.m. and 7:30 p.m.
Cost $28-$48