No position found for Kill at U

Jerry Kill and the University of Minnesota were not able to come to terms on a full-time job for the former head football coach, University President Eric Kaler said in a statement Wednesday.

Kill, who retired on Oct. 28 due to health concerns, had a clause in his contract that would allow him to transition to a new position at the University with an annual salary of $200,000 if he and the school were able to agree on a new role.

“We could not identify a full-time opportunity that met both his needs and those of the University,” Kaler said in a statement. “We want [Kill] to remain a part of the University community in a way that works for everyone. The athletics department and others are already identifying and discussing opportunities with [Kill].”

Kill’s contract stipulates that because he left his job for medical reasons, he could seek disability benefits from the University or receive a lump-sum payment of $600,000.

When he retired in an emotional press conference, Kill’s record at Minnesota was 29-29. His defensive coordinator Tracy Claeys was named interim head coach and later 
promoted to the full-time position.

Claeys has already reworked parts of the football program, replacing offensive coordinator Matt Limegrover and quarterbacks coach Jim Zebrowski with new assistants Jay Johnson and Bart Miller.