Sharp shooting leads to rout of Huskers

The Gophers shot a season-high 55 percent from the floor in the victory.
Sophomore guard Carlie Wagner handles the ball during the game against Nebraska at Williams Arena on Thursday, where the Gophers beat Nebraska 110-73.
Image by Maddy Fox
The Gophers rode their high-powered offense to their seventh victory in eight games Thursday night, scoring more than 100 points for the second game in a row.

Minnesota had five players score in double digits, and 10 players scored overall in a 110-73 victory over Nebraska at Williams Arena.

“Credit to our young ladies for being so efficient offensively,” head coach Marlene Stollings said. “The pace of the game was exactly the way we wanted it. … We really wanted to put pressure on them and really test their foot speed.”

Minnesota (17-7, 9-4 Big Ten) and Nebraska went back and forth in a first quarter with 14 lead changes, but the Gophers outscored the Huskers 24-5 in the second.

The team shot a season-high 55 percent from the floor in the game and outrebounded Nebraska 57-35.

“It just showed how great we are as a team and how well we work together,” sophomore guard Carlie Wagner said. “It’s a lot for teams to take in when you have so many people on the court capable of so many ways of scoring and playing defense and communicating.”

Redshirt senior guard Rachel Banham scored 32 points for the Gophers, while Wagner added 20.

Senior guard Shayne Mullaney had 12 points off the bench, while guards Mikayla Bailey and Allina Starr each scored 11 points.