MN Daily announces new EIC and BOO

Dylan Scott and Elizabeth Luke will be taking charge late next month.

The Minnesota Daily’s Board of Directors has selected the Office of the Publisher staff for the upcoming academic year.

Starting late next month, Dylan Scott and Elizabeth Luke will assume their positions as editor-in-chief and business operations officer.

“Both of them bring terrific experience at the Daily,” said Gayle Golden, board chair and senior lecturer in the School of Journalism and Mass Communication.

Along with experience, the board looked for organized, innovative and collaborative candidates who have demonstrated a strong commitment to the Daily, Golden said.

Both Scott and Luke brought the necessary skills to oversee their respective departments, she said.

“We’re confident that these two have the qualities to take this newspaper through the next year given what its priorities are,” Golden said.

Editor-in-chief

English and history junior Dylan Scott began working at the Daily as a visuals designer his freshman year.

Scott worked as chief page designer the following year and was promoted to managing production editor his junior year.

Now, Scott will oversee the newsroom, sports, arts and entertainment, editorials and opinions, multimedia, web, and editorial production departments as editor-in-chief.

As EIC, Scott said he hopes to rejuvenate the Daily’s web presence with the implementation of a redesigned website. He also emphasized smart financial planning.

“I think one of the big challenges that the Daily faces in the future is … spending a lot of time and investing efforts into ensuring that the Daily is operating … efficiently and responsibly,” he said.

While still respecting the Daily’s tradition, Scott said he hopes to connect with modern readers by making the paper more accessible.

Business operations officer

Marketing junior Elizabeth Luke started at the Daily her freshman year as a brand ambassador and moved up to account executive the following year.

After sitting in on a few board meetings this year as the Daily’s sales manager, she said she was exposed to important issues that impact the business team. Luke said she decided she wanted to be part of more of those conversations in the future.

Luke said she saw the position as an opportunity to influence the Daily’s structural changes, including the launch of a new website this summer.

In the coming year, the marketing department wants to increase brand recognition in order to re-establish the Daily’s presence on campus, she said.

“We’re talking about how we can increase our social media presence to … remind students that we’re still here, and we’re still going strong,” Luke said.