Women’s team earns four titles

The men’s 4×800 relay team earned the event title at the Drake Relays.
Titania Markland is cheered on as she crosses the finish line to win the womens 400-meter relay, the last event at the University of Minnesota Field House for the second annual Minnesota-Wisconsin Dual on Jan. 23.
Image by Sam Harper, Daily File Photo
Titania Markland is cheered on as she crosses the finish line to win the women’s 400-meter relay, the last event at the University of Minnesota Field House for the second annual Minnesota-Wisconsin Dual on Jan. 23.
The Minnesota women’s track and field team earned four event titles over the weekend at the Rock Chalk Classic, with all titles coming from track events.

The Gophers finished first in the 4×100 meter relay with a time of 45.71 seconds. The team won a second title in the 4×400 meter relay with a time of 3:35.93, moving them into third in program history.

Minnesota won its third and fourth titles with victories in the 400 meters and the 100-meter hurdles.

Junior Kimberly Golding took first in the 100-meter hurdles with a time of 13.11 seconds, placing her two spots ahead of sophomore Emma Spagnola.

Junior Titania Markland brought home the 400-meter title with a time of 53.25 seconds. She was also a member of the 4×400 meter relay team.

“In the relay, she’s running for her team,” head coach Matt Bingle said. “She takes pride in that. Individually, she ran well. It was great to see her do that.”

The Gophers also earned three second-place finishes in the long jump, javelin and triple jump.

Throwers continue strong performance

The Minnesota men’s track and field teams were split into two different meets this weekend and found success at each.

The throwers competed at the Rock Chalk Classic, while the runners were at the Drake Relays. Both squads had multiple top-10 finishes.

The Gophers started the Drake Relays with a victory by the 4×800 meter team, finishing with a time of 7:23.54.

“The 4×800 was a high spot for us,” head coach Steve Plasencia said. “Drake Relay titles are meaningful, so that was fun.”

The Gophers’ distance medley relay team finished third, and the sprint medley relay team came in eighth.

“The distance medley relay team did a god job coming in third,” Plasencia said. “Little bit of a hard weekend with the weather. Saturday was cold and rainy, so we looked at how the team competed rather than at the time.”

Sean Donnelly led the throwers to success at the Rock Chalk Classic in Kansas.

The senior won his sixth consecutive event title with a distance of 69.65 meters in the hammer throw, keeping him undefeated this season.

“It feels good to keep the win streak going,” Donnelly said. “If I win the next three, it’d be a great season.

Redshirt sophomore Mac Riedy came in ninth in the hammer throw, while redshirt junior Viktor Stelter finished 10th.