A carbon monoxide leak at a campus-area apartment building evacuated around one hundred residents from their homes Tuesday night.
At approximately 7:45 p.m., Minneapolis Fire Department, Minneapolis Police Department and Hennepin County Medical Center officials arrived at FloCo Fusion on University Avenue SE. in response to reports of dangerously high carbon monoxide readings of 500 ppm in the building, according to officials.
MFD crews evacuated residents of the 84-unit building before searching for the source of the leak.
After the building was ventilated by firefighters and carbon monoxide readings had fallen to zero, residents were allowed to return to their units a little after 11 p.m.
The leak was found to be caused by a generator used for a power washer in a closed basement room, according to a MPD official.
Betsy Colosimo, a FloCo resident, said the alarms in her apartment went off around 7:35 p.m., prompting her to call 911.
“We’re just sitting here waiting now. I don’t really know the rest of it,” Colosimo said.
The end of the evacuation was delayed by residents entering the building before it was cleared by officials.
As of 9 p.m., no one was reportedly harmed by the leak.
This is a breaking news report. More information will be added as it becomes available.
Natalie Rademacher contributed reporting to this story.