An attempted abduction reportedly occurred at 6:07 p.m. Sunday near 725 8th Ave. SE, just over a block west of Interstate-35W, according to a campuswide Safe-U advisory.
A 5'7" bald male, about 40 years old and wearing a black shirt, tried to grab the victim from behind, according to the advisory.
Minneapolis Police Department has not yet denoted any link to past crimes, but multiple other attempted abductions have happened in the area in recent months that may have been connected.
Following a similar incident of attempted kidnapping on Feb. 18 at 6th Street Southeast and 10th Avenue Southeast, MPD spokesperson John Elder said: "we believe that this individual is responsible for similar assaults in metro Minneapolis since 2018."
Another attempted abduction happened in September at 4th Avenue Southeast and 6th Street Southeast while a University of Minnesota student was taking out her trash.
An attempted sexual assault and attempted kidnapping occurred February of last year in the same area. "These are the things you pray that never happen ... It's a heavily patrolled area. It's frustrating to do all of the steps and to take all of the measures that we take and have this happen," Elder said in a press conference at that time.
The Safe-U advisory urges people to use caution.
This is a breaking news report. More information will be added as it becomes available.