Letter to the Editor: The importance of recognizing global poverty in light of the COVID-19 crisis

It is our duty to work together to help nations around the world battle this health crisis for a better future on an international scale.
Image by Morgan La Casse

The events that have occurred throughout the past few months have exposed flaws within the U.S. system of governance as we have never seen before. These hardships polarized and highlighted our leaders who are pushing for a better tomorrow – as well as those who are not. In the midst of the COVID-19 pandemic, communities have come together to protect and care for others and advocate for basic human rights in ways I have never seen before. It is quite humbling to see what a community can do when fighting for a common goal in solidarity. This being said, these efforts cannot stop at just a local or state level. Injustice is happening around the world. In the midst of a pandemic, it is important to advocate for those across seas who do not yet have the resources to battle this international health crisis.

This leads to the question, how can one individual make a difference in a global matter? The most important thing is to do your part. Wear a mask, continue to social distance and follow the guidelines given to us by the CDC. To make an impact on a larger scale while still following these regulations, it is important to reach out to your leaders in congress and advocate for others who do not have a voice. Our leaders were elected to speak on our behalf and create a better world for future generations. This is why I urge Senator Amy Klobuchar and Senator Tina Smith to co-sponsor the Global Health Security Act, a bill that allocates resources needed to aid other nations in this pandemic. I encourage others to reach out to their representatives and advocate for this bill, as well as similar legislation, to be passed in order to halt the pandemic and allot resources to those in dire need. 

At the end of the day, a chain is only as strong as its weakest link. It is our duty to work together to help nations around the world battle this health crisis for a better future on an international scale. 

This letter was written by Jordan Larson. Larson is student at the University of Minnesota studying sociology of law, criminology and deviance. 

This letter to the editor has been lightly edited for style and clarity.

View Comments (1)