Black, white and sequins: The Top Trends at the 2013 American Music Awards

Get excited, ladies and gentlemen, award season is upon us. For film aficionados, this means watching every Oscar-nominated film before February. For the music buffs, it means criticizing every mainstream performance at the Grammy’s. But for people like me, awards season is about the fashion — filled with best dressed lists, designer gowns and elaborate hairstyles.  After meticulously monitoring the red carpet of the American Music Awards, I noticed there were three major trends among the stars.

Maia Mitchell, Naya Rivera and Ke$ha at the 2013 American Music Awards

Black is the new black.

Black will never go out of style, especially when it comes to evening wear. Maia Mitchell, Naya Rivera and Ke$ha all got it right with their head-to-toe black ensembles. I especially love Mitchell’s velvet mini dress, Rivera’s fierce cutout and Ke$ha’s toned down appearance. This trio kept it classy with glam hair and minimal accessories. 

Miley Cyrus, Nicole Richie and Zendaya at the 2013 American Music Awards

White hot.

White is definitely the hue of the moment. All of the edgiest celebs rocked this trend. Miley Cyrus and Zendaya took a bolder approach with white separates, while Nicole Richie flaunted her figure in a floor length white gown with chic cutouts. These three provide solid proof that white can indeed be worn after Labor Day.

Ariana Grande, Taylor Swift and Emma Roberts at the 2013 American Music Awards

Sequins and shine.

Ariana Grande, Taylor Swift and Emma Roberts went glam for the American Music Awards with their sparkly dresses and knockout shoes.  Grande took a classic approach with her floor length red dress, simple clutch and voluminous hair. Swift went sexier than usual in a short sequin dress paired with a smoky eye. Roberts opted for a trendier look with an iridescent blue gown and bright purple accessories. Refer to these looks when New Year’s Eve comes around!

*Photos courtesy of People.com