MSA members use Facebook to rally students against party ordinance

Members from the Minnesota Student Association are using Facebook to try and rally students against a party ordinance MSA voted to oppose during their Tuesday afternoon meeting. The ordinance, proposed by Ward 2 City Councilman Cam Gordon, would make it a misdemeanor to host a party where the host “knows or reasonably should know” underage drinking is occurring. The Facebook group was not sanctioned by MSA, but is solely the work of a few of its members.

"We threw the group together last night," Academics and Services Chairman Nimz said. "We wanted to get some student input. We’re going to write a letter to the city council outlining the reasons why we voted not support the ordinance."

A few student comments from the site:

Kristina Krautbauer: Shouldn’t we all go to the city council meeting to prevent this from passing?

Chris Hodge: the only reason this exists is the fact that noone could respect their old neighbors enough, even if they shouldnt be living in student areas. I can’t see landlords being to happy if their house prices rise and noone wants to live there for fear of being busted… I can also see UMPD being a lot more lax than the MPD

Amy Gieschen: So…when my 22 year old roommates throw back a beer or two after classes…will I be forced to leave my own apartment? This is ridiculous. Please work on increasing safety on campus instead. Students should not be getting shot outside of their own dorms.

Patrick J Homan:This would make things safer..yes..lol..BUT, there would be a lot less social gathers..College experience would be cut down..Not saying drinking underage is right, but what it comes down to is that when we come to college the majority of people are 18+. This makes us all adults..Which makes those who are underage responsible for themselves as individuals. They are adults and are now responsible for themselves…If someone ends up making a stupid decision while being underage and drinking and get an underage, that was there choice.

Andrew Roth: will governing bodies ever learn that prohibiting something generally does not solve anything? how about offering incentives to tenants who don’t engage in those sorts of behavior, instead of punishing everyone for the actions of a few irresponsible students? furthermore, why does this have to be a city ordinance and not simply something contractual between landlords and tenants? making new laws is not the answer.

For more on the story check out MN Daily story from January 27.